VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just created this wiki article with an attached forum thread for discussions. Feel free to ask any questions about this article or discuss edits on this forum thread. The wiki can be edited by registered users.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I fixed the link. FYI, the FAQ is now a wiki so if you see any mistakes or broken links, you can edit the article yourself. I thought this may be a more controversial article since there's so many opinions on oils so I linked it to a discussion thread where people may discuss edits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe someone can clarify for me.. there are all these 507 oils yet when I look at the data sheets, many of them specifically state they are only 505 or not at all. The one that really throws me is the Mobil 1 ESP. On the same data sheet, not more than a few lines between, Mobil claims...

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:

Volkswagen (Gasoline/Diesel) 504 00 / 507 00

and then just below ....

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is of the following quality level:

Volkswagen (Diesel) 505 00 / 505 01 / 506 00 / 506 01

So are they 507 or not? What am I missing here?

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Regardless of what ExxonMobil says; VW says it is 507.00. The other quality levels are in regards to flow, viscosity, etc. 507.00 is mostly just in regards to ash content; so they aren't completely separated. That's my guess on the ambiguity, anyway... ;)

Most dealers have Castrol LL03 for less than the Mobil 1 unless you find it on a Pep Boys sale.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Regardless of what ExxonMobil says; VW says it is 507.00. The other quality levels are in regards to flow, viscosity, etc. 507.00 is mostly just in regards to ash content; so they aren't completely separated. That's my guess on the ambiguity, anyway... ;)

Most dealers have Castrol LL03 for less than the Mobil 1 unless you find it on a Pep Boys sale.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
so a good oil for my 2005 TDI would be Castrol LL03?
I would use Mobil Delvac ESP in my 2005/2006 TDI. 507 oils are cashed after 10k for the most part which is sad for price and fact that it's the "recommended" oil by our MFG. I ran Delvac in my 06 and did many UOA's and that oil is pretty amazing. I think my longest run was 18k on it and Blackstone's eval was that I still had room to go longer. 15k OCI is easy on the Delvac and it's protection was way above the LL03 still at that point.

I could only buy it truck stops with garages OR from oil houses but the price was inline with LL03 if not better. Unfortunately, I can't use it in my 09 until I remove the DPF... :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

Thanks Chittychittybangbang for the great info on oils and vw engines. I wonder if I could get some help to choose oil for my car?

I've used Castrol Edge FST 5w40 vw 505.01 on my car for the last 3 years, changing every 12 months. How does oil that compare with

Amsoil Synthetic Engine Oil (AFL) 5w-40 European Formula or Millers Oils NANODRIVE EE LongLife 5w-40 FLOWCONTROL Full Synthetic Engine Oil. They're listed on this page http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-751-vw-50501-oil.aspx

I use the car for both short 10 minute trips regularly and occasional longer distances

Thanks

QC

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this thread is OLD but I am desperate for some help.

I have a 2006 VW Polo 1.9TDI AXR engine (74kW PD I believe). Does the first post of this thread mean that I can use 505.01 OR 506.01 OR 507.00 ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it's a PD engine then you need the 505.01.
I also found this PDF that is dated 2007 that seems to indicate 507 00 replaces 506 01 under the VW Long Life program. I won't be leaving oil in for 20,000miles / 24 months but the document says the 507 00 oils are appropriate.

I don't have my owners manual with me as I am away from home but the few oil manufactures I have called have said that on their systems 506 01 is specified for my TDI and the Castrol UK site lists Castrol Edge 5W30 LL for this TDI. I called two VW dealerships and they were useless, one of them didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned 505 01.

I am so confused.

What is LongLife III oil?

LongLife oil is a high grade, fully synthetic oil with increased resistance to ageing at high temperatures. When LongLife servicing was originally introduced it was generally designated SAE 0W-30 and met Volkswagen standards 503 00 for petrol engines and 506 00 and later 506 01 for diesel engines. With the introduction of new emission limits for passenger cars in 2005 requiring the fitment of exhaust gas after- treatment devices, Volkswagen have upgraded their LongLife specifications to 504 00 for petrol and 507 00 for diesel. LongLife oils meeting 504 00/507 00 are now SAE 5W-30 viscosity. Apart from a few exceptions*, these new specifications replace the earlier 503 00/506 00/506 01 specifications. Oils meeting the new specifications are designed to work with the latest emissions control equipment, such as diesel particulate filters (DPF). Use of oil which only meets earlier LongLife specifications can halve the life of a DPF.

*All diesel vehicles fitted with R5 (5 cylinder) and 5.0ltr V10 engines and manufactured prior to 1 January 2006, cannot use oils meeting Volkswagen standard 507 00 even if equipped with a DPF. These engines should use oils meeting Volkswagen standard 506 01 (eg. Castrol Professional Longtec LongLife II 0W-30) for both LongLife and Time and Distance servicing regimes.

Important note

In order to maximise the life of the DPF, all DPF equipped Volkswagen vehicles (except pre 2006 R5 and V10 engines) must use an engine oil meeting the new 507 00 specification even when on Time and Distance servicing regime.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I also found this PDF that is dated 2007 that seems to indicate 507 00 replaces 506 01 under the VW Long Life program. I won't be leaving oil in for 20,000miles / 24 months but the document says the 507 00 oils are appropriate.

I don't have my owners manual with me as I am away from home but the few oil manufactures I have called have said that on their systems 506 01 is specified for my TDI and the Castrol UK site lists Castrol Edge 5W30 LL for this TDI. I called two VW dealerships and they were useless, one of them didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned 505 01.

I am so confused.
507 Will work but are you having problems finding 505.01? 507 is likely to be a little more expensive because it's also made to work with DPF and you don't have one. So you'd be paying extra for something you don't really need.

·
Registered
7 Posts
507 Will work but are you having problems finding 505.01? 507 is likely to be a little more expensive because it's also made to work with DPF and you don't have one. So you'd be paying extra for something you don't really need.
I have found one 505 01 oil with an approval letter from VW. I am confused by the 505 01 5W40 vs 507 00 5W30

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I have found one 505 01 oil with an approval letter from VW. I am confused by the 505 01 5W40 vs 507 00 5W30
Either will work- its just a difference in oil weight. You can use either. If you are in a hot area or its summer use 5W40 and if its cold or winter use 5W30

·
Registered
7 Posts
Either will work- its just a difference in oil weight. You can use either. If you are in a hot area or its summer use 5W40 and if its cold or winter use 5W30
Thanks. I’ve had a look at my build sticker (attached) and can’t see that I have Long Life PR code. I’ll get the Penrite Enviro+ 5W40 505.01 oil and use that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts