VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The smaller (16mm head) bolts holding the (upper) engine mount to the chassis used to be part number N-105-167-01, "stretch" bolts spec'ed for 30 Ft*Lbs plus 90 degrees.

These bolts have been superceded by p/n N-105-167-02, which has threads going all the way up to the head of the bolt (with no so-called "stretch" section / neck)... they're grade 10.9...

What torque spec should one use here??? Seems wrong to continue with the old 30 Ft*Lbs plus a quarter turn...

Yuri

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Good question. If anyone can come up with a good answer, please post here and I'll update the timing belt writeup because I don't have access to VW's TSBs or online manuals.

·
Super Moderator
9,560 Posts
Well unless you can tell me which engine your working on Jetta 2003 or Golf 2001 and the engine code its not easy to find. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,560 Posts
OK

Golf/Golf Estate (98-06) 1,9D TDI 1997-05 Engine code: ALH

Golf/Bora/Beetle: Tighten RH engine mounting bracket bolts to 45 Nm (33 lbs/ft) Fig. 10

Golf/Bora/Beetle: Fit and align RH engine mounting:
Engine mounting clearance: 14 mm Fig. 21.
Engine mounting clearance: 10 mm Fig. 22.
Ensure engine mounting bolts Fig. 7 aligned with edge of mounting Fig. 23

Golf/Bora/Beetle: Tighten:
Engine mounting bolts Fig. 9. Tightening torque: 40 Nm (29.5 lbs/ft) + 90°. Use new bolts.
Engine mounting bolts Fig. 8. Tightening torque: 25 Nm (18.4 lbs/ft).
Engine mounting bolts Fig. 7. Tightening torque: 100 Nm (73.6 lbs/ft).

The BRM 2005-07 doesn't show any engine mounting and BEW isn't listed.

See ALH Mounting pic. ;)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's about those bolts numbered "figure 9" that I was asking...

The bolts have been upgraded (see the above part numbers), and the new design does not resemble the original. I was just wondering if it's really proper to use the same torque setting...

Looking at various reference books, the recommended torque for a grade 10.9 10-mm bolt is somewhere between 45 and 60 Ft*Lbs (depending on the particular reference)... I tightened them to 50 Ft*Lbs, which represented about 40 degrees beyond the 30 Ft*Lbs initial setting.

Yuri (still perplexed...)

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I asked the same question on tdiclub.com, and one of the most experienced TDI techs, UserID "MOGolf" replied:

>Continue to use the 30 ft-lbs+90 degrees spec.
>
>Although some people think that a +x degrees means TTY for all bolts, it doesn't. It is often just their way of making sure the bolt is good and tight. The design of the bolt itself, in a particular application, will define whether it is TTY situation.

>These newer bolts with threads the full length will have material cut the full length. The 10.9 vs 8.8 spec accounts for difference in material of the "shaft" of the bolt. The end result will be the same.

His opinion and expertise are good enough for me!!!

[EDIT] - another, very experienced TDI tech replied that these should be torqued to 53 Ft*Lbs... no additional turn...

All the best,

Yuri

·
Super Moderator
9,560 Posts
It's about those bolts numbered "figure 9" that I was asking...
Yes the Fig 9 bolts are just the next tensile grade up so 40 Nm (29.5 lbs/ft) + 90°. Use new bolts should be ok. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts