VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi, welcometomyturbodies

That sounds a lot but I've read of them going quite a bit further. I suppose it depends on how well it's looked after.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, i have 245 000 km on my golf 2002 ATD (tdi engine) and it goes on :) If you take care of your car, esspecialy engine :) you will run more than your 300 000k. I've heard even about 500 000 k on tdi, but I don't remember which type of engine VP or PD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
High Miles on a car

I agree that taking care of your engine is critical to getting lots of miles from a vehicle. I was wondering the same thing about what I can expect from my 2010 Golf TDi Wagon as I am expecting way better results than other vehicles that I driven and/or heard about. That's why I joined this forum, since I don't know too much about the diesel engine.

I've owned a 1984 Subaru GL (2 door) 5 speed manual that I absolutely loved. Picked it up at 285,000 km's and drove it to 550,000 km's with NO trouble. At the end, the body was rusting but I gave it away and it was still running without a hitch. The only breakdown was the catalytic converter which would have cost $600 to replace but was covered on a 10 year unlimited mileage warranty which I was really surprised and elated about.

In addition to my Golf TDi, I drive a 1999 Dodge Caravan which I bought at 165,000 KM's in 2005 and now have 420,000 and still cruises so nicely on the highway. I plan to drive it past 500,000 KM's. Mind you I did did repaint and replaced the transmission (a used one) a couple of years ago, but still figure that I am way ahead $$$ wise over replacing the vehicle.

Also, I was consulting for a small bakery in 2008 and was comparing the useful life of a Chevy cube van vs. a Dodge Sprint with a 5 cylinder diesel engine. The useful life of the sprinter was rated at 800,000 kms vs 350,000 for the GM product.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
300000k is that a lot for a 2000 Volkswagen Golf TDI Hatchback, what is thier typical longtivity?
That sounds a lot but I've read of them going quite a bit further. I suppose it depends on how well it's looked after.
A lot ??? Maybe for Scotland... Our 2003 is going strong at 648,300 km and the 2001 is only up to 502,695 km...

Yuri

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will turn over 234,000 miles on my 2001 New Beetle TDI on the way home from work today. Even the automatic transmission is still working, although probably about time for a 5 speed swap. The majority of the miles are highway miles, and I think that helps, especially witht he transmission.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts