VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per the buyers FAQ, "TDI occasionally hesitate or hiccup when cresting over a hill or lifting off the accelerator pedal. So far, the best guess why this happens is because of an occasional interference between engine and emissions tuning."
My Golf is doing this occasionally.
Can dealers correct this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
There was a DSG flash that fixes some hesitation problems from the transmission. There is also TSB 2020606 "OBD2 function improvement" that supposedly helps engine hesitation but you have to have an error code stored in the computer memory for them to do it. Others said it didn't help at all. I don't have a copy and this is just what I've read.

·
Registered
91 Posts
First lodge the complaint. If enough people make noise VW will take a look and may reflash the computer software.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2010 tdi hesitation and hiccup

I have a sportwagen with a 6 sp manual and 6000 miles on it. Ever since brand new, the engine has hiccuped during off throttle prior to upshifting! And when cresting hills. Probably does it once every 4 trips, or 4-5 times a week. Local dealer looks at me like I'm nuts as no fault codes found. They said there was o2 sensor recall at last visit and related ECM. Problem persists, and I even think it's a bit worse now. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've heard this mentioned a lot on any mk6 forum I visit - I have had absolutely no issues with this at all.

2010 Golf TDI 6M

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
No hesitations in 9000 miles in my DSG.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the loss of power when the road dips. Which my road does, so I get this every day. The odd thing is it doesn't seem to happen when I top a hill, just when the road drops down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
More than hesitation

My 2010 Golf TDI manual has about 7000 miles on it and it has had this problem since new. It is more than hesitation as the engine seems to shut off with very light throttle on slight down hill grades. It has also occurred when starting off with light throttle causing the car to stall. No help from the dealer as no error codes. Has anyone heard of a solution?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just went on a 1400 miles road trip and experienced a very mild hesitation similar to what is described here. I have a 2010 Golf TDI, manual.

What was happening is when the car was changing incline, like in a dip, while I was at low RPM (1800 - 2000) with a light pressure of the throttle, the car would feel like it would completely loose power for a fraction of a second. It seemed like the electronic in the car figured that for the slight downhill what I was requesting with my foot was suddenly less than what the engine was providing, and decided to cut power to it. It's a strange feeling, but I was not worried at any point.

As for the car stalling with not enough throttle, I would say it's pretty normal, even though the transmission seems to be very sensitive in this car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
More on hesitation issue

2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, DSG, 10k miles
There's a short decline on my commute on an on-ramp with undulations that causes the brief power loss sensation on my car that was noted here. This is light throttle. Dealer rolled their eyes, no codes. Only place I've seen it.
Actually more concerned/dislike the throttle cutout on brake switch activation. Waiting to make a turn, start to move, touch the brake (not sure what someone was going to do; person in front hesitates, etc.) and no acceleration for precious milliseconds. Hate it, and believe it's dangerous. So does Car and Driver. Dealer: normal. I know they're not going to turn this off. Maybe after warranty? Possible?

What I called throttle cut-out may actually just be the clutch disengaging, but I do see the RPM drop, so it seems to be doing both...

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
2010, manual,7,000 miles, same problems of brief power loss at around 1600 rpm and 2500 rpm. also stalls sometimes upon initial acceleration from a complete stop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2010 Golf DSG TDI and have been having this issue when i accelerate from a stop. It seems to happen while i am at a real long light or at least that is when I notice the hiccup. I have even had it stall on my 3 times. Sometimes its more of a hesitation when I begin to accelerate, but its definitely an issue!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I see it every so often in my new '12 M6...usually pulling out of a parking spot at work, just taking off in first, it will 'drop' for a moment, then pick back up. Doesn't happen often enough for me to worry about it, and it seems I've adapted to it so it doesn't happen (funny - because a 'drop' like that was the reason I didn't want the DSG when I drove it - and I wasn't about to adapt to it).

Anyway....

My 2 cents...

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing as hawleyrw. I figured it was cuz the vehicle wasnt warmed up yet. It doesnt happen after ive been driving for a couple minutes. I usually just push in the clutch as soon as i feel it, stealing the car's enjoyment of rockin me lol =P

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've heard this mentioned a lot on any mk6 forum I visit - I have had absolutely no issues with this at all.

2010 Golf TDI 6M
I have the same car and I've not had any issues with this either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts