VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I'm new to the site, and to any site, a bit of a computer dinosaur. Own a 2006 Jetta TDI with 115K and the car has been great. Last Friday got first check light and asked the dealer where I bought the vehicle new from to read the code for me but they wanted 70 bucks. I have been choked at this dealer for a long time, they would not answer any of my questions without bringing the vehicle in, simple stuff like resetting the maintenance reminder (I'm done with those A - holes). Anyway bought a OBD2 reader for 100bucks and found code P0674 ( #4 glow plug) Still looking for more info on changing the plug or troubleshooting the circuit. What service manual is the best and where to get one? FYI I'm a aviation mechanic with 30+ yrs so no worries on doing the work just need some info. Sure appreciate some guidance and I'm sure the info is in this black box computer somewhere. Later

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

EOBD II Error Code: P0674

Fault Location:
Glow plug, cylinder 4 - circuit malfunction

Possible Cause:
Wiring.
Poor connection.
Relay.
Glow plug control module.
Glow plug.
Engine control module (ECM).

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/

You should have posted in the Intro section really?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Post moved, he already admitted he was a computer dinosaur Keithuk!

Check for corrosion on the GP wire plug and chaffing harness wiring. If none, a new GP harness is probably needed. The Bentley service manual is what you want, has full wiring diagrams. There are a few mistakes, omissions, and things that I would like to see like cylinder head rebuild specs but it's the only option.

With that much experience why did you continue to go to the dealer!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all - thanks for getting back to me. Will look for a Bentley manual and troubleshoot circuit. As far as the dealer goes I go there for oil and filters. The other dealer in town is to far away and have not found another place to find 501 oil. I'm still leary of buying parts and stuff over the internet, guess that is the dinosaur thing. Talked to a young fella and he suggested a different shop who deals in OEM and aftermarket parts. Will try to get better on using this site for info and adding info. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts