VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine is cutting out just when it is reaching operating temperature. It doesn't cut out when it's thoroughly warmed up. It happens on my way to work - and on my way home. I hr journey each way and it only happens in the first 10 minutes of the journey. I noticed after shut down with the bonnet up after a few minutes I heard a clunck/click, like a metalic valve/spring snapping shut. So next time the car cut out I put my hand on the vacuum actuator - and I heard and felt a click. I thought it was the VNT vanes sticking and when the turbo cooled a little the vanes snapped back. But I now think the actuator may be sticking. Is there any way to 'oil' it and free it up? Where can I buy a new actuator?

Thanks

Tony

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Here is how to test it w/some links to where you can buy a replacement for the ALH engines. Your profile says TT, I'm not sure what car that would be other than the Audi TT. If you tell me what engine code, model, year this for I can tell you the part number.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/VNT-wastegate-adjust.htm

You can lube the arm and joint and give it some hard runs and it won't hurt anything. The exhaust heats up pretty fast but my guess is that something is sticking when it gets hot which is sending you into limp mode.

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's probably exactly what's happening. Some lubrication might help it temporarily. Try it and see if it works. The VNT actuator should never click though so it suggests that it's beyond a little lube. Something is sticking. Test the actuator first to see if it's easily fixed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts