VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Engine cool down. Anybody do this?

8K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  JasonZ 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been since I got the car. Putting the heat on full death valley mode. I have noticed it will move the water gauge about two ticks to the left from the middle than I shut it off. The wife will do this to help cooling down the engine oil and prevent turbo failure. The wife and I haven't been able to get a turbo timer just yet. So I have her just do this. Anyone else do this? Or am I nuts lol. The fuel mileage suffers a little. Yes, diesel is expensive. But who is counting anyways. I also switched to the Summer blend of Power Service.

#2 ·
Newsflash: A Chevy Cruze diesel driver died from heatstroke, putting their heat on high during the summer heatwave. The car was fine and is survived by the pet dog:D

I wouldn't worry about a turbo timer. Coked engine oil from turbos was a thing of the 80s or if you use cheap oil. Good CI (compression ignition rated) synthetic engine oil will not coke up like conventional oil and turbos are designed better.

Here's a test you can do - measure the EGT or figure out if you can find this value in scangauge, the obd2 port plugin gauge kit. See how fast it cools off during normal driving vs. getting off the highway vs. spirited driving. During normal driving, it will cool in a few seconds which means the turbo will cool a few seconds after that. My suggestion is to just drive the car easy for the last mile or so and it'll cool off the turbo pretty well.

Unless you're towing or just pulled off the highway, I don't think there's a big need for cooldown past a few seconds.

#3 ·
I recently used Lava Wrap and wrapped the exhaust side of the turbo all the way down past the oil pan. Since then the car is dramatically cooler and runs better. My oil lasts longer since the temperature is down by a significant amount. I use Royal Purple 15w 40 with the factory ac delco oil filter.

#4 ·
I personally do not cool our Cruze TD down after driving, but then again at the moment it only has 1700 miles on it. Plus I drive it on I-64, but there is about a 2 and a half mile trek off the highway to my house at 25-35mph. So I figure by then the turbo has cooled down quite a bit. You say you lava wrapped the exhaust side of the turbo and it is now running cooler? I guess you are keeping the heat from radiating out in to the engine bay. Would be curious to see photo's as that might be a project worth doing if it makes the car run better. However not sure I like the cooler part. In the winter you are going to be wanting all the heat you can get.

#5 ·
I recently used Lava Wrap and wrapped the exhaust side of the turbo all the way down past the oil pan. Since then the car is dramatically cooler and runs better. My oil lasts longer since the temperature is down by a significant amount. I use Royal Purple 15w 40 with the factory ac delco oil filter.
Why such a thick oil? 5w40 or 0w30 diesel rated oil seems like the way to go. You want the oil to reach the top side of the engine as soon as possible.

#6 ·
Generally , turbo timers are for race/track cars and Ricers.

the track cars use them as when they come off the track their turbo's are screaming hot , red hot is not uncommon, for Urban or hwy cruisers a turbo timer is a bit like putting dress shoes on a horse.
On a side note I think they are a nifty gadget and a fun project so 6 in one hand 1/2 dozen in the other once again.

#7 ·
Cooling or putting it to death is not important. The mechanism works for this and do it by itself. You don't need your wife to put extra affects on this. It's not that you are some kind of fool or something, taking car of the car is good. But pampering it is not good. This new Idea of Lava Wrap is not known to me. If it really work then post few pictures too.

#8 ·
Cooling the engine coolant has nothing to do with EGT temp. Putting the A/C on full cold will do nothing to cool down the turbo.

The best way too cool down a turbo is to unload it during the last few minutes of a trip by driving gently.

IDK about the Lava Wrap. My guess is that it would cause higher EGT temps. Do you have any before and after EGT data?

The Royal Purple 15W-40 may be the wrong oil for your car. Do you hear lifter tap on cold start up with the 15W-40? Check your owners manual for the correct spec and weight for your engine.

A lot of folks rationalize their way into completely worthless or damaging mods based on nothing more than marketing B/S.

#9 ·
Having lava wrap at the exhaust side of the turbo means that it can not radiate its heat and becomes hotter, including the bearing. The heat balance particularly at high load is lost, the heat stays longer in the turbo after switching off the engine. This will definitely shorten its lifetime, and may lead to coking oil (what you want to avoid). You insulate it to death.
See the last sentence of Ol´Rattler above.

#12 ·
Here's another reason why: a semi truck is a big mass, it takes a long time to warm up. A gradual heating cycle is easier on all the various parts. Shocking it with sudden heat is bad. They also had issues with early aluminum heads because Al expands at a different rate from Fe which the block is made of. A 4 cyl car engine is much lighter, newer, made better, and is designed for this kind of use. Sudden shock is bad for any engine which is why you want to start with slow/normal driving before running it hard. This lets the engine/trans warm up.

#11 ·
Older turbo diesel commercial vehicles used to have a small warning next to the fuel shutoff/key.
It said "idle engine for 5 minutes before shutting off". Newer ones do not say that.

This is inline with new technology. Using the specified oil, and with the normal driving conditions we experience on the road, is all we need to do.

#13 ·
I remember reading that Royal Purple says it is for gas or diesel engines- but not specifically spec ed for VW diesels.
IMO - use spec ed oil for your car. I purchased a car to work for me. Taking care of a car is different than requiring braving heatstroke on every shutdown.

#14 ·
After having the turbo wrapped. I have had the temps show on the coolant gauge go down during operation. I wanted to wait a few months to make sure it actually works through different weather. And it does. It also makes you change the oil and filter a little more often. I think that a cooler with a fan will help with this issue. I have been babying it when started and driving easy before shut down. I still let it sit for a min or two with the heat on. But it's not as long during summer months. During winter it will cool that engine down rapidly.

#18 ·
If it was my car, I would not worry about the turbo getting hot.

I'd be very worried about the Diesel Particulate Filter clogging up because you aren't using the manufacturer specified oil.

I'd worry about internal wear because the oil is too heavy.

#15 ·
Pictures will come when I'm able to get back to where the car is at. Recently made a trip out to Texas from erie for a new career change. The Cruze is very comfy to drive and does get up and go when needed. I also got a lot of looks and people taking pictures of the car.

#17 ·
They have a specific one that's for diesel. As fAr as it's for that exact car. Probably not because you have to buy gm specific dextos2. Because you know gm owns it's own oil company lol.

I'd like to get the oil tested. I'm sure it's still good and can just change the filter and add whatever was lost but that can risk bake on oil.

#19 ·
I'm not worried. It's a high quality oil company. Who knows it could be a Mobil 1 engine oil and gm is paying them to rebrand it as gm oil.

As far clogging the dpf. I'm not worried about that. The oil and fuel is clean I'm not running off-road diesel to clog it. I also put additives in "power service" to help keep injectors, pump, the rest of fuel system good.

#20 ·
As far clogging the dpf. I'm not worried about that. The oil and fuel is clean I'm not running off-road diesel to clog it. I also put additives in "power service" to help keep injectors, pump, the rest of fuel system good.
Most modern diesels require a low-SAPS oil to avoid clogging the DPF. The oil can be high-quality and clean, but still contain too much sulfur and ash.

Note we're not talking about sulfur or ash in the fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.