VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello just bought a VW NB TDI 98 121,000 last week and looking at replacing my timing belt. My engine code is AGR and all of the parts and DIY’s are listed as “98-03 NB ALH engines, what gives. Is my engine a special case? I know some of you are thinking that I should read my Bentleys, I have ordered it and should get it in a few days, but I want to order the parts today. Also, the tools needed for changing the timing belt are a little pricey for a one time use tool, what other jobs could I use these tools for.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Just follow the ALH faq, I have the same engine as you and the only difference is we have a wastegate turbo instead of the vnt, other than that it's just the same for doing the belt. Ours are better though lol:D

Chitty rents the tools and if he's to far away there are others.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes I rent them but shipping pricing doesn't vary too much as long as they're in the US.

You could use the tools to beat the car for being a bad boy or resell them. There's always people looking to buy.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies, I did purchase the tools, maybe I will need to change the head gasket. Or I can just beat the car.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a variety of things that need repair, some that I know of, and some that I will discover. The timing belt has 120k, also the car bellows black smoke when started and runs rough until about 2,000 rpm. I am hoping that the timing has slipped and everything will be fine when the job is completed, probably a dream. I should be getting the VCDS tomorrow so I can check the mass air sensor when the belt job is completed. So the big question is, what should I be looking for while nosing around working on the timing belt. I have read something about the erg cooler being plugged? And please don't tell me to pound the carbon out with my belt tools. :laugh:

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts