VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This morning my wife started the car and the first time without success. It was around 5 - 6 degrees above 0, so not that cold. Instead the computer showed "Emissions Workshop" before starting and the "Check engine" light is on all the time. It started on the second time. The last few days were really cold for the local weather and the car needed a bit more holding of the key when starting, but nothing unusual. I mean 2-3 seconds starting instead of 1 in warm weather. The glow plugs took may be 2-3seconds to worm up even when it was in -5.
I wonder if its something serious or it happened if my wife didnt kept the starting key more than 1 second.
Will really appreciate if anybody has some experience and share it as i dont want to just reset the alarm and the check engine light.
I bought the car in November and have passed just 2000km. All the maintainance was done by dealerships and recorded up to date in the book. Last week i cchanged the fuel, air and cabin filters and oil is 2000km old.
140000km 2005 VW passat 2.0l TDI

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Glow plug problem is possible. Have the codes scanned. FYI there was an emissions recall for new glow plugs last year and it was replaced with a new one. The dealer should be able to take care of that for you or find out if necessary. Part of it is checking codes so they should do that for you for free. If they want to charge for getting codes go to parts store for free.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much.

Indeed i got a letter from VW after i bought the car, about extended warranty on glow plugs for cars with no start or hard to start problems which also comply with some certain requirements. I dont believe VW will actually give me something for free, as they will probably find 100 reasons why my car doesnt comply with that warranty, but will try just in case, on my day off. If they want to charge me for the scan of the "check engine" light, i have a friend with a computer and software i will go to.

I hope its the plugs, but what does it have to do with the emissions warning?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, they will replace the glow plugs than and should scan the car for free. The glow plugs are also an emissions device that help warm up the engine, even after it's started = lower emissions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the reply! Will do that and will post a comment after the problem has been solved (hopefuly)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,

i am happy to tell you that the VW dealer in North Vancouver realy at cost changed my plugs and it turned out that they were the cause for the "check engine" light and "emissions workshop" message from the computer. Now, the car starts like it has been running the whole day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"Emissions Workshop"

Just want to add my input here for the glow plug problem status. I bought a used 2004 Passat TDI . I became aware of the problem with the ceramic glow plugs and the aborted attempt by VW to fix with a different glow plug requiring a reflash of the ECU for the new GP's. I was wondering how to best fix this problem when I got the "emissions workshop" indication. I checked the glow plugs with an ohmmeter and found out the NO1 GP had a resistance of 345 ohms. Needless to say, 345 ohms with 12 volts applied will not pass enough current through the GP to even warm it up, let alone make it hot enough to glow. I live in Houston where it is warm enough to not have any starting problems, so I let it go and continued to drive as usual while pondering the best fix. At this point, the VW sales records finally caught up showing me as the current owner, and I received a recall letter on the GP issue from VW. I am happy to report that I took the car in to West Houston VW, and they installed the current GP's with the ceramic tip, along with any required reflash and CEL reset. This was done about a month ago and the car has run and performed perfectly since. A happy ending. Now, if only VW would belly up to the bar and approve a changeout of the chain drive balance shaft module to the geared one life would be complete. I would even be glad to go halfers if necessary, or if VW would provide the parts. Just dont want to get stuck for the whole cost of an engineering error.

Regards, Dr Phil ( Not the Dr Phil, just A Dr Phil)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just want to add my input here for the glow plug problem status. I bought a used 2004 Passat TDI . I became aware of the problem with the ceramic glow plugs and the aborted attempt by VW to fix with a different glow plug requiring a reflash of the ECU for the new GP's. I was wondering how to best fix this problem when I got the "emissions workshop" indication. I checked the glow plugs with an ohmmeter and found out the NO1 GP had a resistance of 345 ohms. Needless to say, 345 ohms with 12 volts applied will not pass enough current through the GP to even warm it up, let alone make it hot enough to glow. I live in Houston where it is warm enough to not have any starting problems, so I let it go and continued to drive as usual while pondering the best fix. At this point, the VW sales records finally caught up showing me as the current owner, and I received a recall letter on the GP issue from VW. I am happy to report that I took the car in to West Houston VW, and they installed the current GP's with the ceramic tip, along with any required reflash and CEL reset. This was done about a month ago and the car has run and performed perfectly since. A happy ending. Now, if only VW would belly up to the bar and approve a changeout of the chain drive balance shaft module to the geared one life would be complete. I would even be glad to go halfers if necessary, or if VW would provide the parts. Just dont want to get stuck for the whole cost of an engineering error.

Regards, Dr Phil ( Not the Dr Phil, just A Dr Phil)
Dealers have been known to go halfsies but that's up to the dealer. You're not under warranty right? If they would, would that make you as happy as a nosy dog in a room full of butts, Dr. Phil :D?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Emissions Workshop error code

I received a Emissions Workshop error code while I was drive I lost power (no get up and go) i can still get to speed, but no power,
when start the car first thing I have lots of power but with in five minutes I have lost power any one can throw out some ideas what it is I have a 2005 passat TDI

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I received a Emissions Workshop error code while I was drive I lost power (no get up and go) i can still get to speed, but no power,
when start the car first thing I have lots of power but with in five minutes I have lost power any one can throw out some ideas what it is I have a 2005 passat TDI
It could be many things. EGR, turbo, vac system, you need to narrow it down otherwise I am just throwing out wild guesses. Take a look at the limp mode FAQ article. If the power is restored by turning the car off and turning back on, you are in limp mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Will a bad MAF give and error on the N75 the reason I ask is two errors came up and I am trying to figure out which one

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
emissions workshop

I had same problem 'emissions workshop' & it only turned out to be the connector at the air flow meter that needed a clean.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
My light went on and the emissions workshop message came on but this car is well maintained and runs great, oil changed every 5k and diesel purge and fuel filter every 15 k ,also all air filters have been replaced. The plugs were replaced awhile ago and the ECM ADJUSTED??? Will go get an engine light check. And see the code .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts