VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
My Passat did not reset immediately when I topped up the Adblue tank after going well below the 1000 mile warning. I got a bit nervous when this happened. However it did finally reset. I won't let the adblue go this low next time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I've been going through most of the same issues as everyone, but mine has become a little bit more challenging? Its started off with "Zero miles until engine wont start" , to my car shutting off and trying to start, and now to the point of my car is filled with adblue fluid, and still the car will not start or attempt to start anymore. The other day i had it towed to my new home and the guy attempted to give me a jump, and the car lights came on and it allowed me to try to start the car but no luck. What to do at this point.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
DEF (ADBLUE):
VW checks to see if:
The mix is correct water/piss ratio.
Estimate how much is left.
Will run 200 miles without piss.
EPA regulation says the engine can NOT RUN in violation mode. with that 200 mile window.
Piss freezes at about 0, then all the heaters go to make it liquid again (200 mile window).

If you do not want that, get a tune and get it removed.

You can bulb siphon all DEF out and put in a box from the dealer.
If the lid is loose and water evap, then your piss ratio is off and will not start. Oh and the piss expires in 6 months and FASTER in heat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my TDI in the dealer since November. No countdown just went to no restart. Dealer has replaced heater, pump, injector valve, Nox sensor and converter to no avail. I would pay big money to get this car going again with or without adblue. If I can not get around this, buying this car was a 20k mistake.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
DEF (ADBLUE):
VW checks to see if:
The mix is correct water/piss ratio.
Estimate how much is left.
Will run 200 miles without piss.
EPA regulation says the engine can NOT RUN in violation mode. with that 200 mile window.
Piss freezes at about 0, then all the heaters go to make it liquid again (200 mile window).
Crap. I just blasted Raisin Brand on the screen of my computer. All this time I thought the Add Blue heater was so you could have a golden shower when you were on the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought my 2015 Golf a month ago from a used car dealer. As soon as I started driving it, the dash read 950 kms til engine won’t start. I’m not worried right away because that’s a lot of kms. After a week I buy some DEF and top it up. Nothing changes. After a month of driving I made an appointment at Volkswagen and they diagnosed a problem. Apparently I have a leak in my DEF supply line and it’s going to cost me $800 to replace. I always wanted to drive diesel and after only a month I’m regretting it.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Hypothetical problems can be prognosticated all day long. As said above many different things can shut down your car and it won't restart. On the wife's E300 The electronic timing sensor on the crank went out.

What happens ? The car stops and will not run for anyone. Solution, carry towing (its really cheap) on your auto insurance and a cell phone. All you have to do is know what shop you want to have it towed to..

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 Passat TDI Sel
I have gotten the "Adblue Error: No Engine Restart Possible in 200 Miles" twice now. Once last year on a trip out of state in July at about 70k miles. The dealer in Montana was out of the sensor that failed. And told me I would have to leave the car for about a week. We ended up canceling our plans, returning home and leaving the car running for over 24 hours to get it back to our local dealer.

It has now done it to us again, this time we were only an hour away from the dealer. It is December and it happened when it was about 29 degrees Fahrenheit today. I was driving it yesterday in temps down to -16 Fahrenheit. About 105k miles now. Dropped it at our local dealer again and waiting for the diagnosis. I did have the Emissions Recall performed as well at about 80k miles.

The error does not shut the engine off while driving. I have driven a couple hundred miles past the "Adblue error: No engine restart possible" point to get it to our dealer. I just didn't turn it off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's possible the injector gets frozen then will not inject the fluid which set-off another unrelated sensor. I would have some of those hand warmer packs that can be purchased at wally world handy and place them on the injector to warm it up. Although I say this knowing full well no one wants to lie down and try reaching the DEF injector under a relatively low-to-the-ground car, or if this would even work at all. A possible shade tree mechanic hack.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts