VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 jetta with pump dulse engine and it has 1/4 inch of carbon in egr, but I can't see how
to get it off for cleaning without taking the engine out of car. Oh no, I don't want to do that now. Any suggestions, all screws are attached from the bottom but blocked by exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the plenum or intake manifold is filled with carbon, but to remove the manifold it seems to be necessary to remove the engine or cut holes in the firewall??? How can I remove carbon from the EGR valve manifold?

·
Registered
2 Posts
don't bother. I removed 2 PD intake manifolds in the last 2 months. the build up is minimal and not worth the hassle of removing it. Especially on a BEW , you would have to remove and reinstall the EGr cooler which is PITA

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
I am not trying to sound stunned but If I remove the EGR( BEW) should that give me a hint if the rest of the unit is blocked with crap ?
My car only has 107Km's on it but I bought it 8KM's ago from orig owner that just drove it around town .I want to get a Malone Tune but want to get everything looked at first to get the full power from the tune.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Hi,
I am not trying to sound stunned but If I remove the EGR( BEW) should that give me a hint if the rest of the unit is blocked with crap ?
My car only has 107Km's on it but I bought it 8KM's ago from orig owner that just drove it around town .I want to get a Malone Tune but want to get everything looked at first to get the full power from the tune.
Do you mean "If you remove the EGR (and it's blocked with carbon) should that give me a hint if the rest of the unit is blocked with crap ?"

Not necessarily, mine had some buildup but the rest was pretty clean. Not clean like a gas intake manifold but not clogged to the point where it was worth cleaning. Your mileage may vary, literally!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts