VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an Audi A3 1.9 TDI - 110ps engine - distributor type diesel injection - it's done 234,000 miles!

As above, the EGR valve is dribbling oil out one of the (2) vent holes - it's the one that faces the front of the car ie you can see it when you open the bonnet, face-on. No oil is coming out of the hole that faces the firewall (but this sits higher than the other).

It's more annoying, as oil drips down, and then dribbles on to the back of the engine. Can I block the hole, or will this cause issues/just blow oil out of the other (as yet clean) hole? I have recently removed inlet manifold and EGR valve and cleaned them, plus I've also disconnected the crank case valve from the air pipe, but still the oil carries on dribbling out!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If you block the hole, the diaphragm will not function correctly since it needs to vent. If it's like our similar engines, the only real repair is taking it apart and by that point, it's worth just buying a new one. I think after you disconnect the crank case piping there's still residual oil in there but yes, that should stop any oil from getting back into the intake tract. However, it's there for emissions so you will increase emissions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts