VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing the egr cooler delete form DG, do you think by doing this am I going to see higher egt?

I love the DG race pipe, and its advantages, I hear that there are disadvantages as well, but so far a good investment, clean intake, more air flow going into the intake without any restirctions, now it's easier to work on that side of the engine, it also brings a fitting to connect the boost gauge.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Normally yes, the EGR cooler delete gives you higher egt and higher emissions BUT you have removed the EGR. If you have a race pipe, the EGR cooler is a dead end anyways, go ahead and remove it.

The irony is that it's now really easy to remove the intake but you have no reason to clean it!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yep, pretty much.

Since you have no egr, I would also set egr adaptation to stock. Some people report lower fuel economy without any noticeable gains. The reason I would be wary about a race pipe is that if you have an engine runaway it would be much harder to stop. With the EGR in place, you keep the anti-shudder valve which cuts off air to the engine if you turn off the ignition. With a race pipe, there's no way to cut off air so you have to just rely on the brakes or putting it into neutral which would let the engine runaway get worse.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This race pipe replaces the EGR in the intake right? How much power do you think you can gain from it?
DG claims that there is 3hp, after 3000 rpm, I feel a faster response on aceleration, but this could be me, I have not done a dyno test in my car with or without the race pipe, what I really like about it, is that there would be no more gunk in the air intake, and also very simple to install it, or to pull it out,,of course you have more room if you want to pull the turbo or the air intake as well.

About the runaways on a TDI, I have asked that question on 2 different forums and most of tdi owners tell me, that if the car is going on a runaway, it is going to do it, with or without the race pipe, that anti shrudder valve will not stop the runaway, and they have prove of that with some tdi members. at least that is what they claim.

Chittybangbang , I have vag.com,,how do you set the egr adaption to stock?
and if you could give me a number that I need to type in with vag.com thanks.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This race pipe replaces the EGR in the intake right? How much power do you think you can gain from it?
DG claims that there is 3hp, after 3000 rpm, I feel a faster response on aceleration, but this could be me, I have not done a dyno test in my car with or without the race pipe, what I really like about it, is that there would be no more gunk in the air intake, and also very simple to install it, or to pull it out,,of course you have more room if you want to pull the turbo or the air intake as well.

About the runaways on a TDI, I have asked that question on 2 different forums and most of tdi owners tell me, that if the car is going on a runaway, it is going to do it, with or without the race pipe, that anti shrudder valve will not stop the runaway, and they have prove of that with some tdi members. at least that is what they claim.

Chittybangbang , I have vag.com,,how do you set the egr adaption to stock?
and if you could give me a number that I need to type in with vag.com thanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
To reset the egr adaptation:

With engine running, Login with "12233" and go to "adaptation"
Go to block 3, this should be EGR adaptation.

The default value is 32768. Value should be about 250 mg/stroke, +/- 20. Since you don't have an EGR, it shouldn't make a difference so I woudl just leave it at the default value. With no EGR, there's no reason not to set it to the default value.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Whoops, edit: The default value is 32768, not 33768, edited above post. the higher value is if you want to disable the EGR, which is not applicable and not suggested. The engine should probably be warm too.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts

If this were on a gas car, the pumping losses would be more, so the gain would also be more. You do gain a small amount of power from removing this restriction in the intake piping but I think people do it more to prevent intake clogging.

IMO, if you are having a marginal runaway, it might stop it by choking the air supply. No air = no combustion. I can see a situation where if the runaway is really bad it won't stop it, but I don't think a runaway is an all or nothing situation, there might be small runaways which can be stopped and there might be larger runaways which can't be stopped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts