VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! New guy on the block could use some help. Purchased a 2006 New Beetle for my wife two months ago. Had 93k on it and was in immaculate condition. Drove it from Fla to Tex and then locally for an added +/- 2k, no problems. Wife left the house two days ago, went a block, car died. Would not restart. I went down, put jumper cables on to insure full cranking speed, got it started, she got in it, drove 30 feet and it died again. I managed to get it started two or three more times but it would only run for 15 or 20 seconds and then die Acted like fuel starvation, had a full tank. Spent some time on the internet and tried replacing the 109 relay. No luck. Next I replaced the fuel filter. The fuel in the filter was clean, no water or debris. The filter medium was black as night but that was all. I'm thinking fuel pump but thought I'd ask for suggestions or advice before I replaced it. Tks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Fuel pump is possible but you'd have to log fuel pressure values with VCDS or tap the line with a mechanical gauge and watch it.

Error codes? Not the immobilizer and your 2006 does not have a relay 109 so I don't know what you replaced :dunno

Texas and miles = not fuel gel. If you were in FL and immediately drove to Toronto, maybe. The black fuel filter is OK.

Not the timing belt because it sounds like it runs OK otherwise.

Getting the codes would be a big help.

Also, post moved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the long delay. Had several higher priorities pop up. I appreciate your reply but am still a little unclear on some items. I did the 109 thing based on having read several posts here and elsewhere. I went under the dash as described in other posts and found a relay marked 109. That's what I replaced. You tell me that 2006 NB didn't have a relay 109. Part of the problem is I don't have a manual on the car. None available locally so I have one on order.Could you explain the VCDS to me? I have a OBD II. which I'm given to understand doesn't work on the VW. Is the VCDS what I need and if so any suggestions on where to obtain one? Because of this I don't have any codes for you. I also see you said post moved. Being unfamiliar with this venue, what does that mean? Do I have to go elsewhere for a reply? Thanks in advance for leading an old shade tree mech. down a new trail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts