VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks I am happy to find this forum
My vehicle is 1.9 tdi skoda octavia elegance estate 2001 engine code asv(skoda is part of the vag group ) I understand that it is very similar to Golf iv.my immediate problem is that i have changed 2 sets of clutch kits . the original lasted for 107,000 miles the second failed under 20,000miles.I have bought a luk clutch kit from america but it was discovered the the problem is the dmf flywheel.The markings on the dmf flywheel is zss 038 105 264 and zsb 268 ae. i will be happy to get some help in locating this dmf, needless to say i am very proud owner of this skoda which i owned since 2003 in england before returning to trinidad. any suggestions in relation to the dmf vs smf will be considered.
cheers
skodaman

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Welcome! When they changed the clutches they probably didn't change the DMF.

My suggestion is to change the DMF and put in a single mass flywheel. You'll get more rattle at idle. But since you've already had some problems, just put in a SMF and don't worry about it any more. A flywheel from a corrado 4 cylinder G60 will work. They are a common part and are usually called g60 flywheels but make sure you get the one from a 4 cylinder and not the 6 cylinder. If you really want another OEM DMF the dealer is the best place to get it from.

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I haven't had my clutch changed yet, I came across this site researching this. I'm actually looking for a kit that would work well, or a link to one that would be suitable for me. I enjoy spirited driving but I'm not sure about the real-world difference between a 14 and 10 lb flywheel. I came across this site listing different kits such as this one:
http://www.fourseasontuning.com/?product=716

I'm searching the forums here right now for better advice, what do you recommend? Does the shifting issue (difficult to shift at higher rpms) sound like clutch or could it be the synchros in the transmission?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
For a TDI I'd go with a regular 20+ lb flywheel. A flywheel that's too light won't dampen the engine as well. It's also harder to get started from a stop. You have to add a little more accelerator. It'll probably rev faster with a lighter flywheel but it's not like the TDI engine revs very high anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts