VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought an 06 jetta tdi with the dsg tranny. Had a little hiccup today, went into neutral at a stop light. Here we go!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I hope you have better luck than me as I'm about to pay VW over $1,000 to replace the Mechantronics Assembly. VW is flipping half the cost. With all the Mechantronic Assy problems worldwide, VW should have extended the warranty on all DSG transmissions on all models not just a few. I'll never recommend a VW with a DSG. I believe everyone is having much better luck with the 6 speed manual. VW is only giving me a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on the Mechatronics Assy. There is a company in England that rebuilds the Mechantronics Assy and provides a 24 month warranty but I decided to deal with the local VW dealer. My scan tool displayed fault code 18262 Data Bus Powertrain Hardware. Many people have suggested the Trans Temp Sensor as a common fault on DSG transmissions but as the Bentley manual shows, the sensor is part of the Mechatronics Assy. Good news is that the VW dealer received the new Mechatronics Assy in just a few days and hopefully, my car will be back on the road by next week.

Good Luck!

bigochief

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I hope you have better luck than me as I'm about to pay VW over $1,000 to replace the Mechantronics Assembly. VW is flipping half the cost. With all the Mechantronic Assy problems worldwide, VW should have extended the warranty on all DSG transmissions on all models not just a few. I'll never recommend a VW with a DSG. I believe everyone is having much better luck with the 6 speed manual. VW is only giving me a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on the Mechatronics Assy. There is a company in England that rebuilds the Mechantronics Assy and provides a 24 month warranty but I decided to deal with the local VW dealer. My scan tool displayed fault code 18262 Data Bus Powertrain Hardware. Many people have suggested the Trans Temp Sensor as a common fault on DSG transmissions but as the Bentley manual shows, the sensor is part of the Mechatronics Assy. Good news is that the VW dealer received the new Mechatronics Assy in just a few days and hopefully, my car will be back on the road by next week.

Good Luck!

bigochief
Any update to your post here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/dsg-mechatronics-assy-repair-7217/ ? I haven't heard of any shops but Im sure some people might be interested

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, went to the dealer today and explained the false neutral,,, said they had never heard of it, although they did say they would give me a new mechatronics assembly if, big if,, my car was part of the recall. I have an 06, not in the recall. They did try to check to see if any codes were present, there were non. Having the fluid changed then gonna hope for the best for now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi bigochief,
I read your post. I lost transmission yesterday on my 2004 Beetle TDI. Mechanic at dealership called me today saying I need a new mechantronics unit for the transmission. He also said in his 11 years with VW he's never seen one go bad, and that there's nothing I could've done to cause it to fail. They don't have one in stock, in fact there's not one in the entire USA so they have to order one from Germany. <great>

He quoted me $1652 for the part and will order it tomorrow, and hoped he could get it in a week. You said in your post that VW paid for half of it, or something like that? How did you get them to do that? I plan to call VW Customer Care and throw a stink, but was interested in hearing your story and if you have any advice on how I can fight the cost of this repair.

Hope to hear from you soon, because I'm really mad about this. Total repair will run over $2K which I really don't have. Thx!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have just purchased 2, 2011 Golf TDI's. Both with the 6 speed auto DSG trannys. Hope this model year doesn't have the same problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts