VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having some issues with the driver's door on one of my B4Vs. For the majority of the time, I insert the key, turn to lock, and only the passenger doors lock. Once & a while I can get the door to lock. The passenger side lock is locked up currently & I'd like to be able to get the door to lock.

I'm in WI and so it's about 20dF. I've had problems with the door shutting too until the car warms up. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I know that the B4s used a vacuum operated door plunger but I don't know if the lock will manually move with the key. Try checking the door vacuum line. It's in the door boot wiring. I know they had problems with the door wiring cracking too which can cause some operation problems.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yep, there's a vacuum pump in the trunk which moves the lock plunger up and down via vacuum or pressure. It's supposed to be smoother than an electrical solenoid clicking it up and down. The fact that the pass door is moving means the pump is good, now find a leak or electrical wire break.

There's also a microswitch in the door handle, see this writeup for details. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a3b4/door-handle-sticking-passat-repair.htm Other than a bad switch, the vacuum line could have broken.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts