VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I haven’t been here in a while. I have a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen. It just turned over 120,000 miles.

I had the dealer do all the routine maintenance for the first 60,000 to 70,000 miles. That included the 40,000 DSG service. I knew the car wasn’t running right. At 80,000 miles I did it myself. I drained 9 quarts out of the DSG transmission!!!! I called the dealer and complained. It is only should have @ 4 1/2 quarts. The dealer didn’t care.

At that point I’ve done everything myself since then.

I currently have a DPF & EGR fault codes. I have soot in the tailpipe. Can the DPFbe cleaned or regenerated? Or is it too late?

have the Ross Tech HEX cable with VCDS which pulled the codes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Soot in the tail pipe is an indication there is something wrong downstream of your engine exhaust ports.
Unfortunately with our cars there is a lot going on down there....
If it's "wet soot", I'd tell you to monitor your engine coolant and oil levels. If you're loosing coolant, the EGR cooler is probably cracked and coolant is mixing with exhaust gases. If you're loosing oil, your turbocharger seals are probably leaking in the exhaust.

If it's dry soot do as follows:
Is the DPF caution light illuminated in the dashboard?
If yes, I would start by forcing a regeneration using VCDS and clear all fault codes. Once that done, you will have to drive the car and wait to see if it comes back or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It’s dry soot. No light other than the check engine light.

I wasn’t sure if I could do a forced regeneration or not? Engine coolant and oil levels are fine.

Where do I find the regeneration option on the VCDS program? Am I correct in assuming that it is done running while in Park (car not being driven)?

any more advice?

·
Registered
21 Posts
If the DPF light is not on it means the soot level in the DPF are within limits.
Since you have EGR and DPF faults (more details???), It could still be a completely clogged EGR cooler. Whether we like it or not, this part has to be removed and cleaned at some point. If, combined with the fact that the intake manifold, EGR and anti-shudder valve never got cleaned, it would mean less exhaust gases being recirculated in the engine to be burned off and more through your tailpipe and into the atmosphere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the fault codes:

008194 Particulate Trap Bank
P2002-007 efficiency below threshold- intermittent - MIL ON

001025 EGR System
P0401-001 Insufficient Flow- MIL ON

Does this help clarify the problem?

thanks again for the helpful advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Inspect wires at DPF exhaust pressure sensor 1 (G450) connector.
Remove connector and inspect inside for corrosion or dirt.
Inspect sensor.
Check for voltage at connector with battery on.
Remove sensor and check for resistance between pins. No resistance = bad sensor.

Same drill with EGR valve ( the one just before the intake manifold).

If all of the above is good, remove rubber intake pipe coming from the intercooler, remove anti-shudder valve, remove EGR valve and inspect for soot build up. The soot build up in the EGR valve and it's tube will greatly indicate the condition of the other components.
If there is a lot of soot there, it means it's horrible at the other end. For a normal amount of soot, see my post "engine stuttering/hesitation".

After all of this is done, you can start to suspect a clogged up EGR filter, EGR cooler or a cracked DPF. Extended warranty for emmisions should cover it if you are still covered.

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company last year that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes which they refuse to install. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

There are companies that clean DPF's I don't know how successful there are, as OEM prices are extortionate.

Diesel Particle Filter (DPF) Emergency Regeneration

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t think this was my first post. I did say that I haven’t been here in a while. My guess is that there are a bunch of experienced mechanics here. Also some people (like myself) who are learning DIY types.

thanks for posting the emergency regeneration procedure.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
There is a cleaner made although I don't know (I haven't looked) about gaining access to the DPF in our cars. Also- as previously mentioned, if your EGR filter is clogged this would do nothing to help it. Usually the EGR filter and DPF are replaced at the same time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for posting that. I will look into it. I’ve seen a lot of videos from the UK that have advanced DPF cleaning systems. I know for a fact that they have a lot more diesel cars over there.

i’m surprised not to see these cleaning systems used here. I’ve seen the liquiI’ve seen that Liqui Moly Video before. I may give it a try. If I can’t get the system clean I may have to replace the DPF. Hopefully the EGR can be cleaned.

Are there any routine additives that I could use in the future to avoid EGR & DPF problems?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
The only additive I use is Power Service Diesel Kleen. Your driving habbits make the biggest impact. Short drives around town and not getting out on the freeway for at least 20-30 minutes a week is a killer for the DPF

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

I haven’t been here in a while. I have a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen. It just turned over 120,000 miles.

I had the dealer do all the routine maintenance for the first 60,000 to 70,000 miles. That included the 40,000 DSG service. I knew the car wasn’t running right. At 80,000 miles I did it myself. I drained 9 quarts out of the DSG transmission!!!! I called the dealer and complained. It is only should have @ 4 1/2 quarts. The dealer didn’t care.

At that point I’ve done everything myself since then.

I currently have a DPF & EGR fault codes. I have soot in the tailpipe. Can the DPFbe cleaned or regenerated? Or is it too late?

have the Ross Tech HEX cable with VCDS which pulled the codes.
I had same issue back in February, cracked dpf, not designed to even remotely have soot in tail pipe. Despite what others say, if your in a state that you don’t have to do emissions, I recommend malone tune and dpf delete. Otherwise replace dpf with new one, and drive another 120k. Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts