VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have to smog our diesels now in CA, and it is a scam. They don't check the tailpipe emissions or run it on a dyno. It is just a visual inspection of smog components and check for fault codes. And it costs MORE! The guy didn't actually visually inspect anything. Didn't take the engine cover off. Didn't look under the car. Just pulled it in, popped the hood, plugged it in, and took my money.
That DPF is coming out as soon as I have some money come in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Smog checks are an absolute scam. Thankfully not all states do them. Hate to say it, but at this time, organized crime rules the world, starting right at the top. Militarily forcing middle eastern countries to trade oil in dollars to dilute our inflation is the real reason for the wars over there. One of the reasons I left CA was the government. Carpool lanes, taxes, fees, fines on everything, I couldn't walk down the street without breaking a law. Seems the way to make money in the modern world is to team up with government to extort it from people, that has to change.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow 12 hours? I just did this on a 2014 jsw 6 speed. On jack stands. Took me literally 4 hours but I was hustling and just ripping crap out. Like you , I did not have to drop the sub frame. Pulled the axle and just pickle fork and BFH to pull the DPF out. Wear gloves wrastling with the DPF, sliced the crap out of my hand , butterfly and glue to keep it together. I did have to cut the rear exhaust with sawzall to get the muffler section out. Also my car (bought brand new) did not have heat shield for the axel boot. Threw on 'buzzken' guys kit which seems ok. Wish the downpipe to midpipe was fluted like the rest of the system, uses band clamp to joint butted pipe of equal length. anyway, straight pipe on these cars is not very loud like some others were saying. Oh yeah Also exhaust wrapped the downpipe since I had some laying around, really keep engine bay cooler.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow 12 hours? I just did this on a 2014 jsw 6 speed. On jack stands. Took me literally 4 hours but I was hustling and just ripping crap out. Like you , I did not have to drop the sub frame. Pulled the axle and just pickle fork and BFH to pull the DPF out. Wear gloves wrastling with the DPF, sliced the crap out of my hand , butterfly and glue to keep it together. I did have to cut the rear exhaust with sawzall to get the muffler section out. Also my car (bought brand new) did not have heat shield for the axel boot. Threw on 'buzzken' guys kit which seems ok. Wish the downpipe to midpipe was fluted like the rest of the system, uses band clamp to joint butted pipe of equal length. anyway, straight pipe on these cars is not very loud like some others were saying. Oh yeah Also exhaust wrapped the downpipe since I had some laying around, really keep engine bay cooler.
Wish you had given me that confident feeling about the "buzzken" pipe as it is what I was considering buying.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Which did you get? Go with the Rawtek system. Looks factory
I bought mine from Rawtek directly, but www.fixmyvw.com sells the kit now along with their buzzken kit. I'd save up for the Rawtek. nothing against the buzzken kit but it doesn't look worth what you pay for it. if you do go the buzzken route then don't take it out of the box to look at it, have it installed and be on your way, bc more than likely you'll regret buying it over the Rawtek setup. You can look at mine if you're near western NC

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rawtek is having their Black Friday sale all week. You can get the downpipe, straight pipe and mid pipe for 783.05 plus shipping then buy the cat back later on if you want

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Ha, I have seen both Rawtek and Buzzkens exhaust, and I'd buy Buzzkens (again) in a heart beat. So what it's not as "pretty", are you staring at your downpipe and mid pipe every day? They both function the same, save your money...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd buy buzzken again too.Everything fit well. I bought the full cat back and the tips exit perfectly. Just ran a 450 mile round trip on it 50.3 MPG @70 MPH with malone 2 on flat Texas highways. Little drone around the 50-65 mph but not big deal to me at all. Once you are cruising the full straight pipe is nothing , really. We plan on rolling it up to Colorado this summer with the wife, if that says anything?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Meh, I'd rather it look good and performing well. I have a job so money isn't a big deal
Haven't had to look under it since I installed it. Only thing showing is about two inched of smoked dual tips. Under the hood all you see is exhaust wrapped DP. To each their own though. Can't go wrong with either one it seems.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Meh, I'd rather it look good and performing well. I have a job so money isn't a big deal
I have had my exhaust on for 6 months now, and the only time I would even think to look at it is when I change my oil. I can honestly say I have't even tried to look at it either, it's just not that interesting I guess. It's functional, not aesthetic. And as far as functionality, the two systems aren't any different. But, everyone is free to spend their money as they choose.

Oh, and I have a job...a great one in fact. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I check the stage 8 fasteners on mine every oil change. I've been a tech for 5 years now, guess I just do things different than the average consumer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just because we don't beat on pig iron for 20 dollars an hour does not make us "your average consumer". This is hardly the case if you saw my other vehicles, the TDI is just a commute car To get me to my real job, nothing more. I spot welded the connections but I guess if your Tech school taught you to check those screws then that's is a good practice for you and your average consumers you service .

·
Registered
111 Posts
I upgrade all 3 of my vehicles, none of them have a specific title such as commuter car. Must be talking to women on here, everyone is so defensive haha

·
Registered
17 Posts
Let me dumb it down for you. The vehicle you use to drive to your bay is what I consider a commuter car. Typical tdi nerd fashion. But yeah Ken exhaust seems ok We will see if the downpipe starts cracking after a while although it is same mm thickness as the rawtek.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't care what you consider any car, I'm saying I modify any vehicle I buy. Same thickness or not it's made out of 409, a weaker version of Stainless. It'll hold up, I know it will, I'd rather have piece of mind. I had money laying around and I seen the buzzken kit first hand at AA Rodriguez shop in GA and I just didn't think it'd be worth the price. Rawtek on the other hand went with T304 Stainless, the welds are super clean and the price was justified to me. AAR sells the Rawtek kit also. They're good people, and I'm glad they offer their own kit.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Not trying to start an argument, was just pointing out that for this type of part the added cost just isn't something I was interested in paying. It's not that I couldnt, I chose not to. I have no issues with you or anyone else buying the Rawtek, it's a free country. I had the mid and downpipe TIG welded together on my set up so its solid. Fit and finish is perfect, so I'm happy :)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts