VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started with my DPF delete. DPF is now out(may thanks for a few hints from DPF delete page!). And yes, I removed it without overhead hoist or lowering the sub frame.
I spent nearly a year communicating with Mark(Class Act for answering all may questions for nearly a year!?) and decided to go with Malone 0.5Stage Econo Tune; DPF delete; Dynamic EGR(for our cold winters warm ups!?)
Also decided to hollow out current DPF and leave all other emissions as is. This is my wife's car and is mainly city driven, thus I know DPF will not last long!?.

For the record, this is an off road vehicle, but we need to use pavement to get there!?.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any details on not lowering the sub frame? I've heard removing the axle will help but I haven't seen this done in the car personally.
Yes, axle had to be removed. I also removed lower aluminum heat shield over the sub frame, but did not lower it. Then, I lower the PDF and turn it to one side. I then turn it again and puled back so that bottom supporting plate on PDF was touching upper aluminum heat shield. At that point, I though I may have to lower the sub frame!?. I felt my face going red and sweat building on my back and with a few little push ups on DPF and a few wiggles(this help push up upper aluminum heat shield) she came out!lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Job done!. FYI, If its your first time allow 10-11hrs for remove and replace. Sound with hollowed out PDF is the same. Many thanks to Mark at Malone for answering all my questions and sending ECU back overnight. Here some pics of hollowed out DPF.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why did you go with gutting the DPF instead of replacing with down pipe?
I only went with stock -0.5 tune, wanted to keep EGR for cold winter starts and found no need for downpipe-midpipe!?. Once engine is broke-in, likely will go with 2.0Tune with DSG tune and midpipe

·
Registered
39 Posts
My guess is, its the cheaper route, although he'll now have all of that exhaust tumbling around in the dpf looking for a place to exit
I would have felt more comfortable with a smooth wall pipe myself. Though, the DPF can is probably made of better material than the cheap down pipe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maybe someone can answer this. Why is Non DPF Deleted APR Tune similar if not identical to DPF deleted Malone in HP/TQ numbers... ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Maybe someone can answer this. Why is Non DPF Deleted APR Tune similar if not identical to DPF deleted Malone in HP/TQ numbers... ?
I'm guessing Apr tuned around the dpf and mark tuned without a dpf install. Top end shouldn't change much since both tuned within the limitations of the engine and turbo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for posting pictures of the inside of the DPF. I've been wondering what's inside. Please follow up with any increase in mileage and or power. More interested in MPG. Also, what did Mark say about the fuel lines going to the DPF? will it ever try to re-gen with the stuffing gone? Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for posting pictures of the inside of the DPF. I've been wondering what's inside. Please follow up with any increase in mileage and or power. More interested in MPG. Also, what did Mark say about the fuel lines going to the DPF? will it ever try to re-gen with the stuffing gone? Thanks
There aren't any fuel lines going to the DPF. Those are pressure sensing hoses that go to the pressure sensors. Also there are 2 EGT sensors and 2 O2 sensors. Are you confused with DEF lines? The tune does away with Regens. I would've went with a stage 1 at least if I was him BC the stage 0.5 is set up for use with the DPF still fully intact and it cost the exact same as the stage 1.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts