VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
My dpf just went at 88000 miles

On my 2010 Jetta tdi the problem started with egr low flow intermittent I brought to a good reputable dealer in Ct. Langdon in Vernon and they worked with me and VWOA and I got a new dpf and egr filter installed and covered 100% in a good faith effort by the dealer and VWOA. It was past the 80,000 mile warranty. I have emissions coming up and after that I am thinking of taking the brand new dpf off and doing the delete. The sensors can be tricked I have done it on other cars. When emissions come up again I just put the still brand new dpf on again.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
On my 2010 Jetta tdi the problem started with egr low flow intermittent I brought to a good reputable dealer in Ct. Langdon in Vernon and they worked with me and VWOA and I got a new dpf and egr filter installed and covered 100% in a good faith effort by the dealer and VWOA. It was past the 80,000 mile warranty. I have emissions coming up and after that I am thinking of taking the brand new dpf off and doing the delete. The sensors can be tricked I have done it on other cars. When emissions come up again I just put the still brand new dpf on again.
By "tricked" you don't mean ECU reprogram right? I'd hate to see your car go up in flames. (*You did say "you" have done it so maybe you are a guru and I'm missing something, if so, please excuse my ignorance)

·
Registered
289 Posts
my car with 90000 miles

Has gone through 2 dpf's the last one paid for in a good faith effort by VWOA lasted 3 weeks. Vwoa and the dealer have given up on my dpf problems. Where I live in Ct. if you show a emission repair in excess of $850.00 you can get a emission waiver. I have a repair bill of $2400.00 and a delete and waiver is my plan.. Vw's dpf is a poor design and I see a class action lawsuit coming.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That's pretty terrible, but my guess is that it's not the DPF that's wrong with your car. Sounds to me that there is an undiagnosed issue that's manifesting itself with DPF failures.

Dan

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Has gone through 2 dpf's the last one paid for in a good faith effort by VWOA lasted 3 weeks. Vwoa and the dealer have given up on my dpf problems. Where I live in Ct. if you show a emission repair in excess of $850.00 you can get a emission waiver. I have a repair bill of $2400.00 and a delete and waiver is my plan.. Vw's dpf is a poor design and I see a class action lawsuit coming.
Yikes, that is bad BUT the waiver, that's all kinds of good since you are required to test. :nana2::nana2:

Question, so the bill to replace, at dealer, is that much?

·
Registered
6 Posts
ok, i know this is kind of an old thread. But i was wondering if the ecu reflash is necessary when deleting the dpf? couldnt u just fool the dpf pressure sensor in to thinking that the pressure is still the same.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
ok, i know this is kind of an old thread. But i was wondering if the ecu reflash is necessary when deleting the dpf? couldnt u just fool the dpf pressure sensor in to thinking that the pressure is still the same.
The programming is too complex and you need to stop the post injection combustion. One reported that he melted the tail reflector. Fuel in exhaust and whatnot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I understand that the programming is complex being that it references alot of different signals at once. But it seems that the post injection is triggered by the pressure reading in the dpf pressure sensor. Now rather than trying to manipulate the electrical signal, couldnt u just keep the pressures on both sides of the sensor the same? Then the post injection wouldnt happen because the ecu never detected the pressure increase on the back side of the DPF.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I understand that the programming is complex being that it references alot of different signals at once. But it seems that the post injection is triggered by the pressure reading in the dpf pressure sensor. Now rather than trying to manipulate the electrical signal, couldnt u just keep the pressures on both sides of the sensor the same? Then the post injection wouldnt happen because the ecu never detected the pressure increase on the back side of the DPF.
Doing it right (the way that many have done before you) can cost less $1000 if you have parts fabbed yourself and have tune. Failing to do it right, can cost you your car.... after all these years and tuners/people that have done this mod, rest assured, if there were a better mouse trap someone (VW TDI diesel folks are quite inventive) would have come up with it. It's really not worth the risk to be a cheap a$$ on this mod, I mean, be cheap on your materials if fabbing yourself but skipping the tune is NOT an option.

I'm sure chitty or another very technical member will have a more technical reply (what you say "seems" to be the trigger is more complex than that) if they care to take the time but in short, don't try it, you're asking for trouble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Following the same path is not always the "right" way. The ecu reflash is probably the most full proof and probably the better choice if you are going to mod the code to increase perfomance. I think you're a little extreme in saying it could cost me my car. If it doesnt work its gonna throw a code and go in to limp mode. I would definitely like to get a more technical point of view on the way the regen is triggered. Perhaps it looks at another reference to see if the dpf needs a regen. Just curious about it. If indeed it is just the pressure sensor then all that needs to be done is monitor the pressure differential on a vehicle with a clean DPF and install a pressure regulator to keep the pressures within spec.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Following the same path is not always the "right" way. The ecu reflash is probably the most full proof and probably the better choice if you are going to mod the code to increase perfomance. I think you're a little extreme in saying it could cost me my car. If it doesnt work its gonna throw a code and go in to limp mode. I would definitely like to get a more technical point of view on the way the regen is triggered. Perhaps it looks at another reference to see if the dpf needs a regen. Just curious about it. If indeed it is just the pressure sensor then all that needs to be done is monitor the pressure differential on a vehicle with a clean DPF and install a pressure regulator to keep the pressures within spec.
Well, regen cycle under load raises temps above 1200 deg and I'd hate to be "that guy" testing the path less traveled with my car burning to the ground. We'll let the tech folks respond as it, indeed, is more than a pressure sensor. welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Differential pressure is not the only data item which influences the DPF regens.

VCDS can be used to read data items via the OBD connector from the data buss, and will show measured and calculated soot loads, and keeps track of a quantity labeled "Requested Regenerations" based on unknown inputs, but likely to include quantity of fuel used, miles driven, and exhaust temperatures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So what is measuring these parameters? I know there are egt sensors to calculate exhaust temps and the pressure sensors to calculate % clog/ soot buildup on the dpf. I'm not super familiar with this system, but it would seem that the pressure sensor triggers the regen, the egt sensors dictate how much fuel is need to get the temp up to burn off the soot. The "requested regen" parameter measures the number of regen attempts? Maybe so if several regens are unsuccesful it will throw a code? Need more input.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
http://www.natef.org/natef/media/natefmedia/vw files/2-0-tdi-ssp.pdf
is a start

And the requested regeneration parameter is a little misnamed, or bungled in translation from the original german, if you ask me. I logged parameters using my VCDS on a long drive a few weeks ago, and watched it increment from 3 to 4 and then to 5, then back down to 1 as a regen event proceeded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanx Mikeme! Good deal. Yup that's the info i was looking for. Definitely has to have the ecm reflashed. because of this:

“Distance regeneration” is a distance-dependent
regeneration of the particulate fi lter. The Engine
Control Module (ECM) J623 initiates an active
regeneration automatically if during the last 466 to
621 miles (750 to 1000 km) of travel no successful
regeneration has taken place, regardless of the load
condition in the diesel particulate fi lter.
Distance regeneration serves as additional safeguard
to minimize the load condition of the diesel
particulate fi lter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Forget Malone.

Thread resurrection:
I just talked to them at length. They are out of the "dump your DPF" business, under legal threats from your (BIG) government.

Here's hoping that there are some small independent vendors who can help me with the DPF and EGR filter removal AND the upgrade to the software AND the no-op on the sensors.

It's 2015 folks.

Does anyone have a resource you could recommend (send me an email if you prefer to remain anonymous).

thanks

I ran around for about a week with the stage 2 tune and no DPF before the ECU was reflashed for the delete. I did have a CEL which would have failed my technical inspection in Texas, and at one point the ECU decided to run a regen while I was driving which melted the reflector above my exhaust tip and left me trailing a smoke screen. Make sure you get the right software when you do the delete. The thing I like about the Malone is that it gets rid of everything, the DPF, the flapper valve, and EGR. Oil stays cleaner longer, less wear on the engine, better mileage, all that good stuff.

Oh, here's a video of some full power pulls in second from bog...

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Forget Malone.

Thread resurrection:
I just talked to them at length. They are out of the "dump your DPF" business, under legal threats from your (BIG) government.

Here's hoping that there are some small independent vendors who can help me with the DPF and EGR filter removal AND the upgrade to the software AND the no-op on the sensors.

It's 2015 folks.

Does anyone have a resource you could recommend (send me an email if you prefer to remain anonymous).

thanks
Early adopter/beta tester? Because the regen DOES NOT activate with Stage 2 Malone tune (DPF DEL). Passes ready-ness. No CEL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Early adopter/beta tester? Because the regen DOES NOT activate with Stage 2 Malone tune (DPF DEL). Passes ready-ness. No CEL.
Confused. How about a list of parts and some drawings of how to get the entire thing done.

Like I said I just got off the phone with tech support at Malone. They were generous with their time, their expertise and their sense of humor but did not quibble. "We don't do that anymore". "We know of people who have been put in jail". "The fines are huge". "Per vehicle". And of course, good luck and happy hunting.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Confused. How about a list of parts and some drawings of how to get the entire thing done.

Like I said I just got off the phone with tech support at Malone. They were generous with their time, their expertise and their sense of humor but did not quibble. "We don't do that anymore". "We know of people who have been put in jail". "The fines are huge". "Per vehicle". And of course, good luck and happy hunting.

It was good while it lasted...

81 - 100 of 113 Posts