VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Awesome thread. I'm totally in support of the DPF delete if increased performance is your goal.. Fast is a drug that you never get enough of, much akin to heroin. Luckily, I have another car for that purpose: my Buick...

I'm no math genius, but I would guestimate that it would take years to see the financial benefits of doing the DPF delete to simply increase MPG's... I would imagine the costs involved with the new parts/labor/ECU work would not be cheap. Any math guru's care to do some quick figures as to how long it would take before you begin to save $$$ over sticking with the stock setup?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Awesome thread. I'm totally in support of the DPF delete if increased performance is your goal.. Fast is a drug that you never get enough of, much akin to heroin. Luckily, I have another car for that purpose: my Buick...

I'm no math genius, but I would guestimate that it would take years to see the financial benefits of doing the DPF delete to simply increase MPG's... I would imagine the costs involved with the new parts/labor/ECU work would not be cheap. Any math guru's care to do some quick figures as to how long it would take before you begin to save $$$ over sticking with the stock setup?
Depends on how you drive. If I drive conservatively, 48 mpg is quite doable...

That's a 15% jump in fuel economy. In the last year and a half, I've driven 40k miles, on about 1000 gallons, costing $3800 or so. So the difference with the DPF gone, would be about $570. So it'd take about 3 years to cover it. My math is very rough with lots of rounding and approximation.

Besides, if you're doing this for performance, you won't get 48 mpg on average, you won't save money, and you really won't care, because you'll be enjoying your daily commute.

BTW, for fast factor, I've got access to some fun things too.

My brother's blue Z06 is running 700 hp at the crank. :D

Then there's also my other brother's car...

Only 550 hp in this one.

Finally, the next project I wanna build after the JSW's done...

2300 lbs with an LS series engine and makes 350 lbs of downforce at 100 mph. Should be able to burn an Enzo around a race track.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nice rides. Is that a factory 5?
Thanks. The silver convertible behind the Z06 is my best friend's car. Also running 680 hp. Another one of our friends drives a Shelby Mustang GT500 and is dynoing 1100 whp. Yes, that is a an FFR GTM. What can I say, the speed bug is contagious.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depends on how you drive. If I drive conservatively, 48 mpg is quite doable...

That's a 15% jump in fuel economy. In the last year and a half, I've driven 40k miles, on about 1000 gallons, costing $3800 or so. So the difference with the DPF gone, would be about $570. So it'd take about 3 years to cover it. My math is very rough with lots of rounding and approximation.
I just noticed quite a few people looking into the DPF delete with fuel economy as their primary goal. So the average person (15k per year) would take about 6 years to recoup the difference..... Which is what I suspected, a long time...

Besides, if you're doing this for performance, you won't get 48 mpg on average, you won't save money, and you really won't care, because you'll be enjoying your daily commute.
:+1 :thumbsup

BTW, for fast factor, I've got access to some fun things too.
My brother's blue Z06 is running 700 hp at the crank. :D

Then there's also my other brother's car...
Only 550 hp in this one.
"Only" 550 hp.... :D Awesome cars! I've always had a love for Vipers because of their pure "rawness". No fancy computer controlled driving. If you're a sh!tty driver, this ain't the car for you... love it!

I've never had mine dyno'd, but my best 1/4 mile was 10.79 @ 131 mph. Not bad for a "Grocery Getter"! ;) I'd love to have a "toy" that handled good. The GN is great in a straight line, but I'd end up on the roof if you throw a curve in there.. For now, the VW will have to scratch that itch.

Finally, the next project I wanna build after the JSW's done... 2300 lbs with an LS series engine and makes 350 lbs of downforce at 100 mph. Should be able to burn an Enzo around a race track.
Sounds like a blast! :bowdown

·
Registered
1 Posts
In regard to MPG payoff on the delete of the DPF, it would seem prudent to also figure in the cost of having to install a new DPF after 120,000 miles due to the old one being clogged. I read recently that to have a dealership do the install of a new DPF is about $2,000.00. This kind of expense makes the DPF delete a mandatory mod for me when I get my new JSW. Of course, I would only make the mod after the expriation of the warranty. I plan on putting several hundred thousand miles on my next TDI. My current 02 Jetta TDI has 216K and runs great still.

Factotum

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wouldn't think you could pass emissions testing without the DPF installed... Any confirmation that it's truly a $2k maintenance item? Seems excessive for something with a limited lifespan....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't wait to delete my DPF, ever since all the emissions stuff has been introduced into the diesel world they have done nothing but cause problems and hinder performance. Heck, emission equipment is the reason I am even driving this car right now. If it wasn't for the stupid EGR on my 6.0 powerstroke I would still be driving it today and every engine out there would be twice as reliable. Just as soon as I get my bonus check in March this thing will be minus a DPF and every EGR circuit I can get off of it.... Ok, vent over.

Toeball, thanks for all the words of wisedom. I have been reading a lot of your posts. It's pretty funny to me that you use the same username on like 27 forums lol. Thanks for the advice!!!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
the common rail cjaa motor family is very clean with or without dpf. DPF's are bad for fuel efficiency, egt's, and turbos. A properly deleted cjaa/cbea produces very little soot compared to older diesels.

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
great video toeball. I'm actually more impressed by the improved exhaust note than the lack of smoke. When my golf's dpf eventually clogs , it will go away forever. I may not even wait that long.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for making all this available pioneers. Great stuff. The moment I see a $2K potential bill for an out of warranty DPF replacement I'll be contacting Malone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi im new on here ive got a 2010 golf 1.6 tdi thats gone into limp mode ive had it in a garage that remaps ecus but they say they cant do this model ???
if i remove the insides of my dtf & have it flashed will this bring it out of limp mode ?? thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
How To delete DPF?

How do I delete the DPF after straight piping from turbo back? I know it takes a tuner, but does it have to be a specific kind of tune or just any tuner?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
How do I delete the DPF after straight piping from turbo back? I know it takes a tuner, but does it have to be a specific kind of tune or just any tuner?
Other than the piping, it has to be a specific tuner who is willing to make your car off road only and has the programs for your year/model. Call Malonetuning.com.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for a great read!

I just bought a 2011 Audi A3 TDI and will put on about 45K miles / year (commute and personal). Who knows maybe more now that I'll have gas mileage that encourages road trips! I'm going to get it through the warranty period before I mess with the flash and DPF, but it's going to happen. Any thoughts on how many miles one can expect to get out of the 2.0L TDI before an engine rebuild is in order? Assume excellent maintenance and 90% highway driving. I'll have my moments with the extra power, but I won't beat the heck out of it.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Thanks for making all this available pioneers. Great stuff. The moment I see a $2K potential bill for an out of warranty DPF replacement I'll be contacting Malone!
:+1

Does anyone know, will we get a CEL once replacement (removal) will be prudent? If that thing needs replacement, it's getting yanked for sure and I'll just send the ECU back over to Jeff at Rocket Chips to be updated to take the DPF removal into account.

Great thread everyone!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had it replaced @60K ( under warranty) and now again @126K..
The EC is throwing a code that it is running at reduced efficiency. Dealer tells me it has to be replaced, to the tune of $2500 .
(It is a 2009) Where is the 120K info from

61 - 80 of 113 Posts