VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to the site and this is my first post. I bought my wagon last April and have enjoyed it since. One thing I'm interested in doing is upgrading my stereo. I have the touch screen 6 disk changer (no navigation) with 10 speaker sound system. It doesn't sound bad, but I was going to replace the door speakers, and eventually hook up an aftermarket amplifier and sub-woofer. I'm not going to mess with the radio because it's a 6 disk changer and I don't want to mess with the dash. I'm sure there are other discussions previously, so if you'd rather not respond to the message fully and direct me to any related threads that would be great. I guess I am just to lazy to go looking through the hundreds of threads. ;-)

Anyway a few questions:

First, I got a pair of 6" and 4" speakers from Crutchfield to put in the rear doors for now. I'm doing this for two reasons, one to upgrade the speakers, and two to "easily" be able to connect and run speakers wires for the speaker-level inputs for the amp. My question is, is it necessary to make a bracket for the speakers to screw into the door? Crutchfield says it is not necessary for the 6" speakers but it may be for the 4".

Second, I guess is the same as the above question but for the front doors.

Also, does this system have any built in amplifier and/or crossover that might interfere with an aftermarket amplifier/sub-woofer?

Another thing, is doing any of this possibly going to affect the airbags. Crutchfield sent a worksheet talking about not disabling the airbags and performing some things may affect airbag deployments.

I've seen the DIY page on removing door panels, and it seems pretty straight forward. I've done the same on my old Toyota Tacoma. Finally, one last question, I need to run a cable from the battery to an amp. Is the gasket behind the battery big enough and a proper place to run an 8 gauge wire for the amp power.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Lee

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
1: please find out and post :)

2. The amp is in head unit. There might be passive crossovers in the door but your newer car may be different than mine. The 2010 got mk6 electronics.

3. No airbag problem that I can see.

4. The gasket behind the battery should be good, take a look at the writeups on how to remove the air filter and battery box and you'll see this. Make sure to seal the hole.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I'll do a little trial and error in regards to the door speakers and how they fit. I would assume they'll work fine, but I'll try to put a post about it when I find out.

When sealing the gasket after running the wire through it, would silicone do ok or should I use something else?

I guess even if the woofer in the back had a crossover on it, it wouldn't be so bad running it for the amp since I only want low frequencies anyway. I don't think it will interfere with the inputs...?

I just have to wait for our weather to warm up for an extended period of time to melt off all this snow here in Jersey. I've been wanting to do this for a while, but it's either been 20 degrees or snow covered in the parking lot at my apartment the last two months. LOL :D

Thanks for the input!

Lee

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another quick question. Still haven't upgraded my speakers or installed amplifier/subwoofers yet. It's been a cold/snowy winter in Jersey, but warming up so I might be able to do it soon.

Question is, how can I pull up the floor panels at the bottom of the front doors? Is there a clip inside or just a pop-in clip? I tried pulling it out, but it won't budge easily and I don't want to break anything...I want to get under there because I'm assuming I might be able to get to the speaker wires for the back doors to tap into for the amplifier.

Thanks,

Lee

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Blupearl, but I guess I should have been more specific. I'm looking at the floor sill panel, inside the car itself, not on the door.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I did this recently, there are a few metal clips along the underside of the sill. You just pull it up. I forget if there are any screws along the front or if it lays under the kick panel in front of it which is held by a screw under a cover.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, thanks! That's what I was thinking, but since it was difficult to pull up by hand, I didn't want to break anything before asking. I think the front of it was on top of the kick-panel piece. I guess using a screw-driver or the mini pry-bar tool will help. I just hope the speaker wires are under there. I guess I shall see. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts