VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a significant parking lot ding in the drivers door, which I didn't really think serious enough to use my $500 deductible. I have no auto body experience, but - given that I can see primer under two of the scratches - I'm thinkin' that it can't be repaired without paint and clear coal. I really don't want Bondo on a brand new car, but VW says they don't sell door skins. But they're more than willing oo sell me a whole new door, and that's just silly.

Can anybody point me to an aftermarket source for doorskins?

//greg//

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I can only speak for my Touareg. It's the only VW I've ever owned. But the skins are definitely pressed on. Looks to me as if the door is removed, then the trim removed from the door. The old skin is lifted around the edges, then removed. The new skin is set in place, edges get wrapped and pressed, door gets reinstalled. Then paint and clear coat, followed by trim replacement. This is the impression I got from the auto body guy that recommended getting a skin (rather than paying for the whole door).

//greg//

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I would definitely not get aftermarket body parts. Talk to a body guy and they'll probably tell you OEM fits better.

Looking at the parts catalog, the doors are single units. There is no replacement skin from VW like the mk5 Golf-Jetta.

If it were my car, I'd get paintless dent repair google it and polish the scratch to reduce it's visibility. If you feel you can touch it up well with a little paint, do that, then polish it down.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
The door skins are bolted on. This is definitely repairable. You can roll it out yourself or bring it to a Paintless Dent Repair shop. Your dealer should know one or just google PDR.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The door skins are bolted on. This is definitely repairable. You can roll it out yourself or bring it to a Paintless Dent Repair shop. Your dealer should know one or just google PDR.
Incorrect. In fact I just came from a VW-owned body shop. Whereas older models on the smaller VWs have bolt-on skins, the 2011 Touareg skins are pressed on. Nor does the 2011 Touareg have the 3 piece door like the Cayenne. I have a 1 piece door which costs $740 plus paint and labor. Curiously, the rear door costs the same as the front.

//greg//

1 - 6 of 6 Posts