VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody just joing your forum!! What a wealth of information!! I'm a new owner of a 1997 Passat Tdi...helped out a buddy with some financial issues, so I know very little about this car. The auto door locks seem the work okay except for the rear driver side door, which is locked. I doesn't open fom the inside or outside. The door plunger does rise and lower as expected but no unlocky!! I tool this to the dealer and they quited me $400 to open and then repair the door latch. My question is how can I open the door (without damage)?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Look through this writeup to remove the door cards.
http://myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a3b4/passat_dcard.htm

There could also be an issue with the handle. http://myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a3b4/doorhandlefaq.htm

$400 is way too expensive. For all you know, something fell off.

Study those writeups for pictures. Then remove the black plastic cover and the latch pictured here.

you can see how the plunger locks and unlocks the door once the panel and latch are removed.

If the plunger moves ok then you also know it's not a vacuum line problem. There is a vacuum pump in the trunk and vacuum lines in the door that move the plunger up and down smoothly instead of clunking it up and down with a solenoid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Locked Door

Thanks, these are great...unfortunately I can't open the door. To remove the handle I need to access the screw on the inside of the door, which is not possible with a closed door. Can I reach the latch from the inside of the car somehow and manually release the door?

·
Registered
82 Posts
A slimjim can open the door. You could pry off the inside edge of the window moulding to get more access for a coat hanger or something so that you don't damage the window.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I use the slim jim, where on the door do I use it? Close to latch, middle if door? Do I need to worry about hanging up on any wires?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any luck yet? There's wires and stuff in there. Use a slim jim close to the latch. A cop...or a thief should be able to point you in the right direction!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL...since I can't find a thief!! Who admits it!! :) I'm off to a locksmith, hopefully they can use the slim Jim and pop this bad boy open!!
Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts