VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the guy that had a 2001 TDi that wouldn't start after I changed the ignition switch. My 2nd time replacing it although I didn't replace the charred wire and melted plug the first time. Evidently switched the wires after checking several dozen times. But a bit suprised. Only told the repair shop to get it running but after I got it back the following "annoyances" are all gone and cant believe this switch has an impact on all of this.

Windshield Wipers
Climate control fan
A/C (independent of fan)
E-brake engagement killing headlights
Radio was turning on with car off (running battery down as it would either not turn off or come on a few minutes after parking)
Heated Seats
Turn signals

But if having any issues with these things it's worth a shot checking it out. Several of these had issues or stopped working prior to the first switch really showing failure and continued after the OE switch was replaced the first time. Just found it odd that this thing has an affect on so much stuff.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It is even more insidious than the load reduction relay. ALL of the electrical circuits described above go through the ignition switch (electronic part behind the lock cylinder where you put the key). All because these circuits need to have power to them cut for the starter motor to get enough power to crank the car.

This is where having a wiring diagram and being able to read it properly comes into play.

Years ago I spent four days tracing down a voltage draw that was draining the battery in a customers MkIV jetta gas car, through elimination it came down to the ignition switch or the body control module.
The switch was cheaper so I tried that and it fixed it. I had thirty plus hours of diagnostic time in that car and was only able to bill the customer for three.

cheers
dave parker

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took a picture of the plug before I ripped it apart but still messed it up. I amaze myself on how I can screw up what should be a simple task. I need to replace the RF wheel speed sensor now and keep snugging the column cover as it's squeeking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts