VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess as my delivery date approaches the confidence of my decision wanes. I've had either a VW or an Audi my entire driving life (so, 16 years). I'm aware of the gremlins that come with the cars. I'm having doubts whether the 2.0 engine will live up to the usual first generation of problems. Is anyone else having these doubts?

I do appreciate the library of knowledge shared regarding the diesel vehicles at this site. As I read along I don't know whether I should take advantage of having so much to reference or worry that buying my first diesel is going to be a semi-complex undertaking. From DSGs failing to new engine introductions, what makes the new buyers put confidence in their new vehicles?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I plan on buying one as soon as there is more availability. I'm, guessing this will be this winter/spring.

The truth is that there are first gen issues on any car but the body has been around for a few years. However, you have a warranty. Buying a 15 year old car will also have issues as well. Which is better? A new car should have less issues, is safer, and has more current features. An old car might have more issues but has already depreciated so it may be worth it. Only the buyer knows what's important to them.

If it helps, consumer reports upgraded the jetta to average. The Japanese cars have gone slightly down in quality because...well once you're at the top, there's nowhere to go except down, and because other manufacturers have improved.

Also remember that internet forums do not represent the average owner. The overwhelming majority of DSG work fine. People only search for info when they have a problem. And then you only hear about it when there is a problem, noone posts "everything is fine", lol. Other forum users are people who want to mod their cars or join car clubs. This is not the majority of owners.

Lastly, although the engine hasn't been in Europe for years, CRD technology has. Mercedes and Dodge have used it as well. I feel that the best thing you can do is to educate yourself and check the dealer's work by asking them questions and keeping on top of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That's actually a really fair response. Having owned an A4 Avant I've seen bills for $300 and I've seen bills for $3500. I haven't made use of a warranty in years.

Having frequented Audiworld for years, you have a very valid point. I haven't posted on the B5 A4 forum in years because I've taken in most of the reference material and either fix it myself or source it to an indy shop.

I think CR even put the Jetta on the Recommended list. Checkmark and circle. I guess there is a lot to be said of Volkswagen and their diesels when they still command high resale and the mileage is in the hundreds of thousands.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
The mk5 body is not new. This body style still has a few years left in it and it'll be a few years more until any other economical diesel is in the US. BMW/Audi are bringing 6 cylinders but don't expect excellent mileage with those. The only comparable car is the Prius but I didn't want a Pruis. And if you wait for the mk6 body, there will be some teething pains with that as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got my Sedan

Just got one and broke my own rules:

1. Never get a new model in the first year.
2. Always buy a car with purchasing leverage.

I just wanted one of these and Im relying on VWs long experience with Diesels and the extended warranty to pull me through. Consumers gave the 2006 TDI real high marks.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
No, the body has been around for a few eyars and consumer reports upgraded it. Plus, VW has spent so much money on rolling out this new engine that I think they would have done their research. After all, they delayed launch by months, hopefully that was time spent improving things!

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Ah right, VAG had both common rail and pumpe duse at the same time. There was "bluetec" but that was emissions treatments, not the engine, which confuses things even more.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
If it means anything, I've been reading all the reports and I haven't seen anything that says these are any less reliable than the other mkv cars. Someone said their rear windshield shattered by itself. Could happen but it was replaced under warranty and windshields are cheap.

J

·
0 Posts
windshields are tempered so it's likely installation error. They are strong until damaged, then they are weak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts