VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After speaking to a BMW tech, when you bring in the BMW 135 and 335 in for service, they check the ecu. I've also read confirmation of this at :http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7967 Unlike earlier cars, this can be seen immediately and if they are found, your VIN is flagged. Any engine/drivetrain/whatever issues that come up with the car will probably be denied warranty coverage. Are all cars going this way?

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I don't think that VW will do that soon, according to your link, it's due to a new ECU that can detect piggybacks and reflashes. I don't think the VW ECUs can do this, and if they were, we'd hear about it. If they do use this ECU, then we are in trouble!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
VW can't as far as I know. The link said that a new type of ECU used in those cars will record changes. I remember reading that the oil pumps on those engines sometimes had problems. If your VIN was flagged and your oil pump was bad, your'e SOL.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
This will not make a difference for 90% of owners. Most will not mod while the car is still under warranty or they'll sell it to someone who will. Even still, I am in that 10%. VW warrantys suck, but it's something. If they denied blanket warranty coverage due to a mod that really doesn't do anything bad, that would be the last straw, I would jump ship to honda or toyota.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
It's not just BMW, the new nissan skyline is supposed to have an uncrackable ecu. And in the Jspec model, if you take it to a racetrack the GPS remembers it and it's noted in the vehicle history. The mazda rx-8's ecu was just fully cracked. The problem is that ecus are getting more complicated so it's more expensive to crack them. The more expensive it is, the smaller market, and the smaller the market, the more consumers have to pay for the aftermarket to recoup their costs. Plus it's an easy way for the manufacturer to deny your warranty.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
It's almost like a mean trick by the manufacturer. The new Evo X comes from the factory with a pig rich AF, if you get a chip to lean it out, no warranty. Sell a car that doesn't run at the optimum level and when people tune it to improve your product, void their warranty.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
That's too bad, FWIH it's a car that is really meant to be modded, extra performance with just a chip, turbo FTW!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts