VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 TDI Jetta and my clutch is starting to slip. The Bently manual shows that a special transmission jack is used to remove the transmission, Is this necessary?

·
Registered
67 Posts
You could even bench press it while on a creeper and have someone pull you out by the legs to slide it out :p Harbor Freight sells a cheap transmission jack with a stable pad to support the transmission.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Easiest thing is to have a helper handy. Remove both axle flanges and drain the gear lube. After the bolts are removed, push toward the drivers side till the trans releases and swivels. Swivel the differential section upward so it can slide up on top of the crossmember. Push back and take it out. If you need a jack, harbor freight has a scissors style one for under 100 bucks.

Note: Please wear an asbestos respirator while doing this. If you do not have the necessary tools or experience take it to someone. You will need triple square sockets, numerous other sockets and extensions etc. I also recommend replacement of the rear main seal.
Use a G60/VR6 clutch or better with a flywheel. You may also need a clutch fork and pivot ball. Do NOT use Valeo clutches. Use ONLY Sachs, DC or SouthBend!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
No. I used a $75 Harbor Freight transmission jack and a home made engine brace (a 4X4 with all thread and hooks and nuts and bolts) to hold the engine up. Some people bench press it in and out (too heavy for me) and some use a floor jack. I did find that removing the passenger side drive axle flange from the transaxle gives greater clearance to get the transaxle out without binding.

--Nate

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've just after doing a DMF on a passat and used a transmission jack wouldn't do it without one however my car was up on a lift.

Getting it off is fine but you need a support there when putting it back on otherwise you risk bending the centre spline of the clutch or the needle bearing. Maybe theres a better way of doing it but I know when I was refitted my transmission it took a good bit of wiggling to get it back on even though everything was centred properly.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
I used a $75 Harbor Freight transmission jack and a home made engine brace (a 4X4 with all thread and hooks and nuts and bolts) to hold the engine up. Some people bench press it in and out (too heavy for me) and some use a floor jack. I did find that removing the passenger side drive axle flange from the transaxle gives greater clearance to get the transaxle out without binding.
I got my Harbor Freight jack on sale (one of those $20 off coupons they send out), and used a Princess Auto (Canada's version of Harbor Freight) engine support bar (again, on sale...).

I didn't find it necessary to remove the axle flanges, but removing the rear transmission bracket (lower mount) helped...

Good luck,

Yuri

1 - 7 of 7 Posts