VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Well guys, the picture should speak for itself. After installing the TB, I wanted to double check the alignment of the TDC mark with the IP lockshaft with the camshaft lock in place. After double checking everything, I forgot to remove the camshaft lock before cranking the engine at the crankshaft point. Here's the result. Can I just use this as-is? Or is there some imperative reason to get a replacement camshaft?

A word for the wise...don't do something as important as a timing belt change after a long day of work....

Assuming that the metallic pieces are cleaned out, what harm is likely to happen from running it? Will it break further at high RPM's or will the broken edge mar the camshaft cap? Just need some advice. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Replace it - mk3 camshafts are relatively cheap. To be honest, if the edges were smooth it might run but you're also putting more thrust load on what's left of that thing and it'll tear up the aluminum cap. There might be micro cracks, which after repeated use, could crack and send more metal bits into the head.

The sad thing is that another TDI site's official timing belt writeup actually recommends using that tool to counterhold the engine when loosening the cam sprocket bolt. This is why the tool specifically says not for counterholding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cam

Yeah...that's the way I was already leaning before writing the post...but I had to get a second opinion. There are a multitude of sites out there that sell one of these cams www.IDParts.com ($145.00 made in Germany) and there's www.dieselvw.com with one for $55...and for that price I wonder if it's made in China....to which I've sent an email inquiring about exactly that. What's your take?

Also, am I alright to replace just the cam or do I need to worry about the caps or lifters?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Idparts is good, dieselvw is a place to avoid at all costs! Long story short, I thought I'd give them a try but they basically stole money from me so I now have a note in many writeups to avoid that site or any of their identical spam sites. They even screwed up simple parts. I've read many stories of bad parts from that seller from other well known people who have no reason to lie. I don't sell camshafts either.

IMHO replace the lifters as well since the cam wears into them and again, they're not too much. Here they are for about $100 : http://www.metalmanparts.com/product.sc?productId=122&categoryId=19 I'm not sure if it can be used on the 1z engine but your profile doesn't say what car you have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts