VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The flywheel has gone bad in this 2006 TDI at 96,000 miles. Does anyone know of replacing this with a single mass old style flywheel. The original was produced by LUK from Germany. What brand should I use and also what brand pressure plate and disc. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I would go with a G60 flywheel. The 4 cylinder flywheel from a G60 corrado is cheap, easy to find, and will bolt onto any TDI because 4 cylinder engines share bolt patterns. The 6 cylinder won't.

Then just use any clutch kit that works with 4 cylinder VW.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flywheel

hi, thanks for the info. I do not know what a q60 corrado is. I have found Valeo and Sachs clutch kits and the LUK flywheel. I do not want a LUK. Where can I find others. Also do I want a 14lb or 22lb flywheel. What is the difference? Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Get the 22, a TDI will run smoother with it because the flywheel dampens vibrations. G60 corrado is a VW from the early 90s. Because all 4 cylinder VWs share the same bolt pattern, they're just called G60 flywheels. There are lots of generic G60 flywheels out there to choose from.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I had a similar question that maybe one of you guys could answer. I'm doing a transmission swap so I just thought I would do a clutch swap while I'm at it. Would the conversion to the G60 be a good idea, or should I just keep the stock dual-mass flywheel (which seems to still be in good condition) and get just a replacement clutch kit minus the flywheel, such as the one on idparts? The only reason I ask is because of what I've heard about the rattling with the single-mass flywheels in TDI's; is the noise really that bad? Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, I had a similar question that maybe one of you guys could answer. I'm doing a transmission swap so I just thought I would do a clutch swap while I'm at it. Would the conversion to the G60 be a good idea, or should I just keep the stock dual-mass flywheel (which seems to still be in good condition) and get just a replacement clutch kit minus the flywheel, such as the one on idparts? The only reason I ask is because of what I've heard about the rattling with the single-mass flywheels in TDI's; is the noise really that bad? Thanks.
No, the only time you can really notice it is when you're at the drive-through or bank teller and the sound is bouncing off the wall. It's well worth the reliability.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
The flywheel has gone bad in this 2006 TDI at 96,000 miles. Does anyone know of replacing this with a single mass old style flywheel. The original was produced by LUK from Germany. What brand should I use and also what brand pressure plate and disc. Thanks
I also have a 2006 TDI and my DMF was starting to go bad. I have checked to see if I can just replace it with a single mass flywheel to avoid future problems but I was told by several VW gurus that the single mass flywheel will not "fit" for my car.

This was confirmed also by the guys at BoraParts.com. I went ahead and bought the updated DMF from the same site. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I also have a 2006 TDI and my DMF was starting to go bad. I have checked to see if I can just replace it with a single mass flywheel to avoid future problems but I was told by several VW gurus that the single mass flywheel will not "fit" for my car.

This was confirmed also by the guys at BoraParts.com. I went ahead and bought the updated DMF from the same site. Hope this helps.
?? They are wrong. The G60 flywheel will fit but it needs a matching new clutch and pressure plate. You can't add just one of these or it won't fit. Maybe that's what they meant. If not, what's this: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--TDI/Drivetrain/Clutch/ES250303/ Either that or they were trying to sell you something.
They probably meantt DMF for a DSG transmission, not a 5 speed transmission. The original poster was talking about a manual.
My guess is that you have the auto-DSG so it can be confusing to anyone else who reads this without that note.

·
Registered
2 Posts
DSG Flywheel

Am I to gather from this conversation that one has no option if I have a DSG transmission? I have just discover that my flywheel has come apart and needs to be replaced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts