VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi There,

Please let me know if you have all the pin-out descriptions for the CECM? I need to know where to connect separate lights to run as DRL. When I activate this via VAG-COM, I get lamp out warnings (obviously because no lights are connected to the outputs on CECM)

Also I cannot seem to activate DRL. Not even via low beam or front fogs. Any ideas? I think it might be DRL dimming bits

My car is the 2011 MK5 Jetta, but it has the MK6 electrics

Please let me know if you need more information

·
Registered
34 Posts
Which switch, wire 2010 Jetta LE Mk V w/ Mk VI electronics

I'm running into confusion regarding replacing my standard two position US switch with the multi-position european switch.

When I refer to the 1000q for Mk V (How to install a euroswitch on 2006-2009 VW Golf, Rabbit, GTI, and 2005.5-10 Jetta and Sportwagen) it states

The 2010 sportwagen and 2010 Jetta use the mk5 part but it's possible your car doesn't have the trigger wire for the parking lights. If it doesn't have the trigger for the parking light you have to add one using the procedure in the mk6 Golf writeup​

When I refer to the 1000q for the Mk VI (How to install a euroswitch on 2010 VW Golf, 2011 VW Jetta (and newer)) it states

This procedure does not apply to the 2010 mk5 VW Jetta or mk5-mk6 Sportwagen (Golf wagon, JSW, or GSW). In those cases, installing the euroswitch is straight plug-play, see 1000q: VW mk5 euro switch install.​

So my conclusion is that I need the Mark V part number for the switch. Ok, that's a start. But then there is this verbiage about the trigger wire for the parking lights that I might not have. Looking further into the Mk VI instructions, I see that the trigger wire for parking lights is slot 3 on the headlight switch plug.

Q1: is that true for the Mk V headlight plug as well?

The problem is that my headlight plug HAS a wire in slot 3. However it lacks wires in slots 5 and 7.

Can someone tell me the correct process to upgrade to the Euro switch and whether or not I need to add a wire from ? slot to the CECM?

thanks
Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm running into confusion regarding replacing my standard two position US switch with the multi-position european switch.

When I refer to the 1000q for Mk V (How to install a euroswitch on 2006-2009 VW Golf, Rabbit, GTI, and 2005.5-10 Jetta and Sportwagen) it states

The 2010 sportwagen and 2010 Jetta use the mk5 part but it's possible your car doesn't have the trigger wire for the parking lights. If it doesn't have the trigger for the parking light you have to add one using the procedure in the mk6 Golf writeup​

When I refer to the 1000q for the Mk VI (How to install a euroswitch on 2010 VW Golf, 2011 VW Jetta (and newer)) it states

This procedure does not apply to the 2010 mk5 VW Jetta or mk5-mk6 Sportwagen (Golf wagon, JSW, or GSW). In those cases, installing the euroswitch is straight plug-play, see 1000q: VW mk5 euro switch install.​

So my conclusion is that I need the Mark V part number for the switch. Ok, that's a start. But then there is this verbiage about the trigger wire for the parking lights that I might not have. Looking further into the Mk VI instructions, I see that the trigger wire for parking lights is slot 3 on the headlight switch plug.

Q1: is that true for the Mk V headlight plug as well?

The problem is that my headlight plug HAS a wire in slot 3. However it lacks wires in slots 5 and 7.

Can someone tell me the correct process to upgrade to the Euro switch and whether or not I need to add a wire from ? slot to the CECM?

thanks
Scott
Can't be sure Scoot. A friend of mine has a 2011 Jetta that has a wire in slot #3 which was already wired for parking lights. All he had to do was plug-and-play. You can also look and see which color the wire is in slot #3 and then unplug the black CECM and remove the outer shell by depressing both tabs on either side of the bulkhead and then once the outer shell is off you will have to split the wire harness in half. It has a joint down the center, almost like a dovetail, and the two halves just slide apart. You may have to cut a little of the fabric tape around the wire loom to have enough slack to split the harness. Locate Pin #19 slot see if it matches that wire color.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello my friens my name is Michael and in from Greece, My Golf 5 (2004 mode) is a trendline version and i would like to replace the black light swich with chrome euro light swich. In my old (black) swich
the pin 2 are missing from factor, but the chrome euro swich has all pins (10). When i connect the chrome euro light swich in my car and i have a full scan with vag-com, the 09 cent electric has one fault: 01800-Light switch (E1) 008-Implausible signal-Intermittent. I clear all fault but this apear again and again. I would like to ask if this fault created from pin 2, because my old swich has not them, but the cable swich connector has a purple color cable in pin 2 possition. My car has not day light and front fog light.

thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I don't know but if you think it's caused by the pin, try removing the pins from the plug so there is no contact. There should be a lock on the connector and then you use a VW terminal tool google it , to release the hooks on the pin. You can first try taping over the pin on the switch but the tape may break or be too thick. If you still have the problem then you know it's not the pin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have found now that I put my European auto headlight switch in with the light sensor at the base of the windshield that the DRLs will turn off at dusk and the parking (city or whatever you call them) lights will run for a while until it gets dark enough for the headlights to turn on. I like it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
parking/city lights stopped working

I installed the OEM euro switch in my 2012 TDI w/ factory xenons. I do have VCDS, but I didn't do any coding because everything seemed to work and there were no errors. Unfortunately, I just noticed that my parking lights no longer work. Not sure when they stopped working, they were fine when I tested the lights after installing the switch. The LED DRLs work fine and fogs work fine in both parking light and full on positions. I even put my original switch back in to be sure it wasn't a faulty euro switch, but the problem still exists. All I want is to have my city lights back. I want to be able to run parks and fogs with DRLs. The instructions say to disable DRLs in VCDS, but I want to keep them working as normal. Does not disabling the DRLS cause parking/city lights not to work? I'm thinking I need o do some VCDS coding, but I have no idea what! Any sugestions???

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I'm guessing it has something to do with the coding. The last time I saw something similar (on a mk5 Jetta) it was fixed by restoring coding to stock, even though no coding was changed. It shouldn't happen, don't know why.

·
Super Moderator
9,151 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Car: Mini Cooper

If you drive a Mini Cooper then why are you here?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I might just be a dummy. As I posted above, I have a 2012 Golf TDI w/ xenons and LED DRLs and I originally thought my parking/city lights stopped working when I installed the euro switch and trigger wire. Now I realize that the LED DRLs double as parking lights (they dim when the euro switch is in parking light position). If this is the case, I have no problem at all. Can anyone confirm that DRLs and parking lights are one and the same on my car? Also, does anyone know what to code in VCDS to stop LED DRLs from dimming in parking position? I want them to stay at full brightness at all times. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me introduce myself!

I am Doug Dexheimer, a retired mechanical engineer, living in Overland Park, Ks. I own a 2012 Jetta TDI Sportwagon. It is the fifth turbo diesel that I've owned, and the best yet. Previously I had an '87 Rabbit Diesel, that was not turbocharged. My first Turbocharged Diesel was an '81 Mercedes 300 SL, then an '85 300 SL. Then I bought a Ford Crew cab pickup with the 7 liter Turbo Diesel by IHC.
The first two MB were 5 cylinder engines and the Ford has a V-8. In an effort to be able to pull a small trailer, I bought a 6 cylinder '91 350 SD. I should not have wasted my time with that car. It was the first year for the straight six engine, and it had been owned by a college kid that ran it hard on back roads in the south. Many suspension and engine mounts later, I got it into driving shape again, but it was not very fuel efficient.
When I learned that VW was putting a turbo diesel in the Jetta Sport Wagon, I bit the bullet, and signed up for six years of payments. So far, this VW has had good fuel economy, with 40.9 m/g on it's maiden voyage from Kansas to SC. (over the Smokies).
I have installed the Curt brand trailer hitch/ball. I have not completed the wiring to the trailer light adapter, because the wiring kit did not spell out where to find the hot wire at the back of the car. I tried to get help from the local VW dealer, but he refused to help because the trailer light kit was not a VW part, and he had no instructions in the shop manual.
My latest customizing move is to replace the headlight switch with the european style switch, and add Fog lamps. I have the switch, fog lamps, body inserts, but lack instructions on how to wire in the fog lamps to the central control computer.
I am delighted to have found the instructions for switching out the headlight switches. I am looking forward to following with the wiring and installation of the Q/I Fog Lamps. Any clues or leads to existing articles would be most welcome. :+1

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I got a new Euro Switch but not wire yet and after disable the DRL's I got this error, by the way I'm trying to install OEM Bi-Xenon on a LowLine CECM following the same instructions for a MiddleLine CECEM post on the vwvortex.

·
Registered
11 Posts
this is sort of a FYI post. I just installed a Euro switch with the light sensor in my '13 JSW. - http://www.ebay.com/itm/171155245336?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 In the OFF position I have DRL's, in the AUTO position I have DRL's until it gets dark then the low beams come on. In the PARKING position there is parking lights with the tail lights. LIGHTS ON well they work. No rewiring. PLUG-N-PLAY No programing easy. Fog lights install next.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have found now that I put my European auto headlight switch in with the light sensor at the base of the windshield that the DRLs will turn off at dusk and the parking (city or whatever you call them) lights will run for a while until it gets dark enough for the headlights to turn on. I like it.
Jeff,
I have '13 JSW and mine was plug-n-play like yours. However, when the headlights are on the headlight indicator on the switch is not illuminated. Is yours?

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Hiya folks, here's yet another variant.
I just bought a Chinese headlight switch. 1.Off/2.Park/3.Headlight/4.Pull for single Fog
NB. Switch will NOT pull out on Park setting. Fog light icon at 7 o'clock is Red, Park is Green.
Half the price of a Euro style, ~$35 shipped from China, took about 2 weeks, very well packed
and arrived safe and sound.
I got the "repair wire" from a USA seller.
As per instructions I installed the wire and shazam! Parking lights and with tonights discovery
of the turn signal "manual DRL delete", I do believe I've got what I've wanted since recently acquiring
the car, (a "10 Golf, 2dr, 6spd manual now with a Stage 1 Rocketchip tune).
1.HeadLight switch off; no lights.
2.Park; front & rear marking lights
3.Headlights; High & Low, with foglights as low speed turning lights.
4.Headlights Pull; Low only, both foglights on. Highbeam cancels fogs.
DPF & EGR delete in the works!
A CEL and occassional flashing GPL have been problematic, it appears to be an EGT sensor that is intermittent.
The modifications will continue,,,,,,,,,, a great car to drive!
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many conflicting posts on internet so I will make it clear. My first post by the way!
2014 Golf wagon tdi Highline (called Jetta sportwagen in U.S. market). I wanted the ability to run only the parking lights when I start my car to warm up on cold mornings. Ordered euro switch p/n 3C8941431QXSH and installed it today. BOOM! Working right out of the box, no additional wire or VCDS mod required. Just plug and play. Pin 3 of headlight switch connector is already occupied on this car so wire must be pre-installed at factory.
What you'll get:
  • All lights OFF when switch is to OFF and hand brake is pulled up.
  • DRL ON when switch is to OFF and hand brake is released.
  • Parking lights ON when switch is to PARKING and hand brake is pulled up. (FYI parking lights are 1 bulb below low beam in each headlight assembly, left and right side markers on front bumper and one bulb in each taillight assembly)
  • DRL ON when switch is to PARKING and hand brake is released.
  • Low beams ON when switch is to LOW BEAM.
  • Fog lights ON in PARKING and in LOW BEAM when switch is pulled once.
  • Rear fogs are not used. (second pull of the switch)
So long story short: if you want parking lights just order that switch and voilà!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts