VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just tackled this mod right before dinner. I'm glad I do Yoga on a regular basis, because it helped in maneuvering under the dash :D

I followed the DIY guide, but I had to "open up" the plastic harness which plugs into the back of the switch in order to seat the yellow wire in place.

It took a few minutes studying the connector to figure out how to open it up. I finally used fine tweezers to pry it open.

I thought I broke it when it snapped open. As you can see, it's "hinged" at the top on both sides.

Once it was open, I simply pushed the wire down until it clicked in place.

One other thing to note. Last week sfpegasus added the DRL option to the MFI menu. It seems enabling/disabling this option no longer does anything after the euroswitch was installed, since DRL no longer lights up on the dash. Does the computer somehow detect that the yellow trigger was detected and turns off DRL automatically???

You many want to add my pics of the connector on the DIY page to help future installers.

--Ryan

·
Registered
41 Posts
One other thing to note. Last week sfpegasus added the DRL option to the MFI menu. It seems enabling/disabling this option no longer does anything after the euroswitch was installed, since DRL no longer lights up on the dash. Does the computer somehow detect that the yellow trigger was detected and turns off DRL automatically???--Ryan
Hmmm. That's an interesting observation. Maybe Dana over in the VCDS forum at Vortex has an answer for us - I'll ask.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hmmm. That's an interesting observation. Maybe Dana over in the VCDS forum at Vortex has an answer for us - I'll ask.
I just went out to re-verify again. Here's an update...

(1) When the switch is off, DRL light is on (if enabled in the MFI). Same behavior as before even with the euroswitch.

(2) When the switch is set to parking lamps or headlamps, the DRL light is off (regardless whether enabled in MFI).

Observation (1) makes sense because we didn't turn off DRL completely, just added the function to turn it on/off from the MFI.

--Ryan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quick question --

I disabled the DRL's on my 2010 TDI Sportwagen by engaging the turn signal indicator downward and towards me (high beams) and turning the key to on and waiting for confirmation beeps.

This effectively turned the DRL's off without having to use a vagcom/vcds. I've heard that this method, using the turn signal indicator, does not work on 2010's past a certain build date.

At any rate my DRLs continue to remain off.

If I get and install a Euroswitch do I still need access to a vagcom vcds?

·
Registered
308 Posts
One other thing to note. Last week sfpegasus added the DRL option to the MFI menu. It seems enabling/disabling this option no longer does anything after the euroswitch was installed, since DRL no longer lights up on the dash. Does the computer somehow detect that the yellow trigger was detected and turns off DRL automatically???
--Ryan[/QUOTE]

I don't get why the checkbox no longer works if it did before, and why DRL no longer lights up in the dash. (Maybe using the stalk method overrides the check box? But if you enable it, I don't see why the check box wouldn't work if its controlling the same byte.) The yellow wire should have nothing to do with it, as it is only used to turn the parking lights on. With mine, I still have DRLs enabled. When the switch is in off position DRL is on. Once I move the switch out of the off position, the DRL lights turn off (because they are no longer needed) and I can use AUTO (which right now always turns lights on bc I havent installed rain/light sensor yet), parking lights, head lights, front fog, rear fog (not yet installed). This is how it should work.

I would LOVE to know how you got the DRL check box in MFD though!

·
Registered
77 Posts
golfTDI1 said:
I don't get why the checkbox no longer works if it did before, and why DRL no longer lights up in the dash. (Maybe using the stalk method overrides the check box? But if you enable it, I don't see why the check box wouldn't work if its controlling the same byte.)
The check box option only works if the switch is in the OFF position. See post #23 above for an update.

golfTDI1 said:
I would LOVE to know how you got the DRL check box in MFD though!
I can look up what we changed in VCDS, and get back to you. One thing though, on his 2010 Golf, sfpegasus couldn't find this option in VCDS.

--Ryan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes because the parking lights aren't the same as the DRL. Your drl should still be on but you say your drl are off so you should be all set.
Thanks for the reply CCBangBang but I'm a little confused by your answer -- are saying: Yes I can install the Euro switch and not need to use the vagcom --- the entire headlite system is the stock assembly that came on my 2010 Sportwagen and I guess the build date was early enough that the stalk method of turning the DRL's off worked.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Thanks for the reply CCBangBang but I'm a little confused by your answer -- are saying: Yes I can install the Euro switch and not need to use the vagcom --- the entire headlite system is the stock assembly that came on my 2010 Sportwagen and I guess the build date was early enough that the stalk method of turning the DRL's off worked.
If your DRL is off now you shouldn't need to use VCDS since the DRL are controlled by the CECM, not the switch.

·
Registered
308 Posts
agoodhi, thank you.

ESFlash, yes that's what he is saying, now I'm not sure for you Sportwagen because I believe its technically an MK5, but for my Golf (MK6) I did not need to disable the DRL for the Euro-switch to work properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
confirmed

agoodhi, thank you.

ESFlash, yes that's what he is saying, now I'm not sure for you Sportwagen because I believe its technically an MK5, but for my Golf (MK6) I did not need to disable the DRL for the Euro-switch to work properly.

Confirming previous post info: I installed the Euro non-auto headlight switch in my 2011 Mk6 JSW today and the parking lights *only* illuminate when the switch is moved to the first position for parking lights (DRL's turn off when parking lights are switched on, DRL's are on when switch is in "off" position). Simple plug-n-play operation for the new JSW's. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
New member here, not new to the VW platform or mods though. :D

After swapping in the euro switch on my 2012 GTI I decided to change out the one in the wife's 2012 Jetta TDI sedan with the plan to add the AUTO feature with the upgrade kit from bolt-sport.com.

Trouble is, when I pulled the switch from her console, it is NOT the same switch. I see people with 2011 SportWagons have done the mod with no issue, so why is the 2012 Sedan different? Why would the Golf/GTI, and the Jetta wagon be the same and then the Sedan of the same year be different? Really?

Here is what the switch looks like;

Ideas? LOL

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The new Jetta for North America uses electrical system from the VW Polo, an updated mk4 system. Looking at the switch confirms it. Golf-Sportwagen and Euro Jetta uses a current Golf-JSW-Euro Jetta-North American GLI. It's because they removed some of the "highline" features so there was no reason to use the wiring. You need a mk6 Jetta specific switch.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I just confirmed that my 2012 Jetta TDI has the same switch as Thumpers. I want to have the headlights auto on like in all my other cars, seems I am to old to remember to turn them on at times. So do I need the mk6 Jetta specific switch the same as Thumper, and what do I need for the sensor?

Is this a mod that can be preformed as a DIY or does it require the dealership to intervien, or is it possible at all.

Thanks

LargeCar

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is this a mod that can be preformed as a DIY or does it require the dealership to intervien, or is it possible at all.

Thanks

LargeCar
Bold-Sport.com has a sensor kit for the mk6 GTI/Golf. At this point I doubt it would work the Jetta.

So, chitty........any idea if I got my hands on a european polo switch would it be plug and play to at least be able to have the fogs on without the headlights on?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_VI-Sedan-TDI/Lighting/Switches/

You may be able to set fogs as DRL, don't know since I haven't scanned a 2011+ Jetta, here's a link to euroswitches.
Now why didn't that page come up when I was looking at ECS?? LOL

Thank you!!!!!

Also, I don't use the fogs as DRLs, I just want them to be able to be turned on when just the parking lights on not the headlights. We get horrible fog here in orchard/rice paddy county. No coding needed for that, just the switch.

However, I am pretty sure I saw that option when I was in there. I did not try it though, and since I am having trouble getting it to take the code to leave the fog lights on when the high beams are activated I am starting to wonder how much they trimmed out of these cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MK5 DRL activation via front fog lights

Hi There,
I have been searching all the VW forums for the last couple of days and cannot get any info on how to switch on my car's DRL via fog lights.
It doesn't even work with low beams..
I have been able to successfully enable cornering lights via fog lights. On my VAG-COM some tick boxes are not visible, but via help from the forum, i have changed all the relevant bits in byte 11, 15, and even byte 18.
I have changed the region to NAR, ROW, but then only the chimes are different.
On my previous MK5 Jetta (2009) i have done the DRL via fogs, but it doesn't work on the 2011 model? Any ideas why?
Apparently the late 2011 models have the same electrics as the MK6 models:confused:
My car has factory fitted front fogs, halogen headlights, LED tails wit one rear fog and one backup light. Euro headlight switch with Off/Auto/Park/ON/Front fogs/Rear fogs.
When I try to enable DRL via separate lights, I get the bulb out message on the MFD.
All the trigger wires are connected at the headlight switch
Please help
Thanks,
Deon

21 - 40 of 59 Posts