VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Where do I find Maloosheck? I'm trying a DIY BUC on my wife's 2012 Tiguan. Got the original parts from eBay (same as the pix on top of this thread), but need the harnesses and wiring diagrams. VW does not make it easy.... Please help.
VW makes the harness that goes from camera to RNS, Search And you will find it. I know a reliable seller on eBay from Czezh who sold the camera and the harness to me, let me know if you need his Info and I can PM

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would like to install the same on my '09 but was told by the supplier of the wiring harness that it wouldn't work. He warned that the trunk handle on the 2010 is wider and would not fit without metal fabrication.
You are quite right. I did the install on my 09 JSW and provided a writeup here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5652727-DIY-Rear-Camera-install-in-2009-JSW

A couple of notes regarding the install:

I found it much easier to go straight to the reverse wire at the tail light cluster than messing with the CECM.

You don't need to disassemble as much of the dash as the OP states to get the fuse panel wired. You just need to get the actual panel freed up. None of the aluminum supports need to be disassembled.

I couldn't find a bulk ground so I just went under one of the bolts on the aluminum dash supports with a ring terminal.

If you run through the headliner and you have side curtain airbags make sure that your wire passes on the inside (toward the center of the roof) of the grab handles.

If you don't want to mess with the fuse panel an easy way to wire the whole thing up is to tap into the power and ground at the rear accessory socket, power, ground, and reverse signal all in one place. Just make sure you put a fuse inline with your circuit.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
No, it's not plug and play in mkv, in mkvi jetta the handle with the camera fits right in, for mkv I think the best thing to do is what malooshack did
IIRC, Maloosheck adapted a high line camera to his existing trunk handle.

I wouldn't recommend a high line camera since it needs an expensive control module and the entire set-up also needs to be calibrated with a VW tool that is unlikely to be found in North America.

I'm looking at another VW OEM option and will report when I can provide useful info.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know it's an old thread, but the reason you don't need a switched connection is that the only time power actually runs to the camera is when the reverse is engaged. No need for a switched connection. It may give you the option to turn on the stereo with the car off, put the car in reverse and have the camera turn on...you know, in case you're in the car at night and you hear something behind you and you want to see what it is but is too scared to let anyone know there's someone in the car. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 JSW RVC install?

I have been reading about installing the RVC in my 2012 JSW (RNS-315) and I have one question.

Do I need the cable harness from maloosheck in addition to the camera and harness from car systems?

I already own the VCDS cable and software.

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
1 Posts
You don't need the harness if you don't mind cutting into some wires (possible warranty issue?). You can easily find the power, ground, and reverse signal wire if you remove the rear right interior panel (the one with the accessory plug).

Behind that panel, you can tap into the 12 volt power of the accessory plug, the reverse signal from the reverse tail light assembly, and a ground from a ground bolt below the tail light.

If you go this route (like I did), the only wire from the front will be the video wire from the back of the 315 unit.

One warning though: The video cable is not long enough to run from the 315, along the floor, behind the rear right rear panel, and then up into the top of the rear door to the camera (unless you run thru the center console and then under the right passenger seat). If you dont like that route, you'll apparently need to run along the roof as outlined earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Which wire on Reversing light

Hi SaturnMan
I plan on going down the same path as you. Which wire or side of reversing Light do we use for the camera. Cheers:D

"Behind that panel, you can tap into the 12 volt power of the accessory plug, the reverse signal from the reverse tail light assembly, and a ground from a ground bolt below the tail light."

·
Registered
48 Posts
So I'm installing the back up camera on my '09. I'm followed the instructions from Wackit (thanks!), cut a larger opening in my trunk (much harder than I thought it would be) and have everything wired and installed except for the fuse box and the CECM.

I'm using Maloosheck's harness but the instructions don't seem to apply. On the '09, the C connector on the CECM only has 12 pins. I'm 99% sure that the blue and black wire on the 12th pin powers the reverse light. I looked at the wires to the tail light and it seems to be so. I just want to make sure before I proceed any further, blow ten more fuses, and have to take my dash apart a million times.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Okay, well the black and blue wire did work after all. So if anyone is doing this to an '09 sportwagen, yes, the C plug on the CECM has only 12 pins. Also, I ran into some trouble getting the camera to work. It turns out that Malooshecks harness and the rear camera I bought were not wired the same way. Power and ground were switched so I had to do some simple rewiring to make it function.... it only took about three hours of head scratching and pulling everything apart for me to figure that one out.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I retrofitted my '09 JSW with an RNS-315 and a BUC. The '09 JSW has a much smaller hatch handle that the '10s and later. I opted to leave the handle alone and put in a different OEM VW BUC. Here's mine:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I've been reading and reading and can't seem to make sense of what I need to do. I am planning on installing the camera handle on to my 2013 Golf Sport Wagon Highline purchased in Canada. I have the RNS 315 with Navigation. From what I understand I can just run the video cable from the back of my stereo to the handle. As for what I am to do with Mooshelnecks hareness and the fuse panel, and/or the CECM I'm an uncertain. I do have VCDS. I am wondering if this camera needs power all the time or only when the car is put into Reverse? If it is only when in Reverse couldn't one just use the power supply that is turning on the Reverse Light? Also as I have a Highline, do I need to mess around with my CECM? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts