VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
This took me about three hours:

My apologies for not providing photos during the progress. Camera battery died.

Tools needed:
T25 torx driver
Cordless drill
3/32" drill bit
2" blue painter's tape
Fine point black Sharpie

Note: ECS only provided 8 screws with their kit ES1931428. A total of 22 are needed. I ordered 20 more. Part number N9097470 or ECS number ES471384. (5X16 self tapping screw)

Remove the rubber grommets from the bottom of the car. There's four of them, two in the front and two in the middle. Toss them in the trash. Install the brackets with the screw hole towards the outside of the car. Make sure you get the bracket up into the body as far as it will go. Then push the center rectangle all the way up into the bracket. It will spread the legs of the bracket out inside the car body. It doesn't look like there's an easy way to get these out so make sure you installed them properly with the screw hole towards the outside of the car. I'm just sayin'...

Using a T25 torx driver, remove the screw from underneath the rear mounting area, about 4" from the front edge of the rear wheel well. It's the only screw there and it is re-used to mount the rear of the skirt.

Carefully separate the rail from the skirt. Trim off the tabs on the skirt. Most of them snapped of with little effort and I used a razor knife to get the rest. Be careful not to damage the surface of the skirt.

Using two strips of 2" blue painter's tape, tape the rocker panel off from the door sill down, overlapping about 1/4" or so.

Mount the front and center of the skirt to the brackets underneath the car with screws. Do not tighten too much, because you still need to adjust and they're designed to move forwards and backwards. The rear mounting hole is the only one with very little play in it for adjustments. Support the skirt against the side of the car in the position it will be mounted. I used more tape. Draw an outline of the skirt onto the blue tape with a fine point Sharpie. . This will be your template to install the rail.

According to the erWin data, (and they are correct!) the center hole is 39-1/4" inches from the front fender (including the liner) and 1" below the outline drawn above. Drill away.

Once you have the center hole done, use a screw to fasten lightly and then mark all the other holes. Make sure you allow the 1/8" or so above the rail and below the outline you established on the blue tape. Drill and drill and drill some more. There's 9 holes on each side. Remove blue tape once all the holes are done.

Insert screws and snug up lighty, still allowing the rail to move forwards and back. Test fit the skirt making sure the rear hole aligns properly. Start at the top and "roll" it down onto the clips. You may have to adjust it some. CAREFULLY remove skirt from rail and tighten up all the screws. Do not over tighten - these things will strip pretty easily.

Snap the skirt onto the rail firmly. Again, start at the top. It should fit snugly front to back - if not, one of the clips did not catch. Tighten up the rear hole. Insert screws in the middle bracket and front bracket and tighten.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

Someone is selling a set of skirts in the vortex classifieds and provided a picture of the rail mounting screws (right side of the photo).

FS: Stock Complete side skirts

I don't know the part number, but they are NOT the 5X16 self-tapping torx screws I used. (left side of the photo)

I suspected all along there might be a special mounting screw for the rail such that the rail slides on the way it is described in the erWin repair data.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It looks like you need 18x of VW# wht 000 188 (wht000188) 41 cents each and 3x of VW# n 909 747 01 (n09074701) about 12 cents ea. I assumed that you need 18 and 3 per side but the bag has 18 screws and 6 larger ones which makes me think 9 and 3.

I'm confused, you say you need 22 but you ordered 20 more in addition to the 8 ECStuning included? ECStuning's description says all necessary hardware included.

I talked to the guy who posted the pics and he said it would be OK to use them so I will start working on a pictorial info page.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I 'spose if you weren't a perfectionist like me, you could install them with 8 screws. Not gonna look pretty.

Now I'm all worried I didn't do it "right" :eek

Al told, there are 24 screws, three underneath each side and nine in the rail. One screw is existing on each side in the rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts