VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my new 9W7 Bluetooth controller from Steve (Euronavsolutions) today, and installed it, took me about 1 min and 37 seconds to swap the box including taking the pictures for this DIY so ... I'd say it's easy !
VAG COM is optional, and will basically enable the lowest left button to enable the voice activation, which is also already enabled when you press the largest button on your roof control panel buttons, so basically the VAG COM will add a redundant button for voice activation, if you do not code it, the steering wheel button will remain a mute button for your radio, and you will have to use teh overhead panel for the voice activation.
Anyway, here we go with the DIY,
Enjoy !!!

Step 1:
Open your passenger door (front if a 4 door)

I hope that wasn't too hard, if that was, seek professional help to install your Bluetooth system ... :)

Step 2:
Slide your front passenger seat all the way back, you will see the Styrofoam box where the blutooth module resides

Step 3:
Un-Velcro the Styrofoam box, it comes out very easily

Step 4:
Flip it over upside down

Step 5:
You need to disconnect the plug that goes to the 9W2 module, in order to do so, push the little black tab near the white latch and lift the white latch, the plug is now unlocked and can be removed

Step 6:
Remove the 9W2 module from the foam box, be careful not to break the Styrofoam, the module will come out. Here is a shot of both the 9W2 and 9W7 modules side by side, I wrote 9W7 on the 9W7 module so I wouldn't get them confused

Step 7:
Install the 9W7 module into the foam box

Step 8:
Push the plug into the 9W7 module and lock it with the white latch

Step 9:
Flip the box back right side up and re-velcro it back into position, there are 2 little tabs on the tunnel/center part of the car that help position the box correctly

Step 10:
Exit the car and close the passenger side door

Step 11:
Now go sit in the driver's seat (don't forget to open the door !) and turn the ignition on, when it is on, go to the new PHONE page on the MFI, you will see this

Step 12:
Delete the current Bluetooth profile in your phone for your car, new module = new profile. Follow your phone's instructions for Bluetooth pairing, once the car is found (VW PHONE) enter the passkey 0000, and you will see this

Step 13:
Next, the page will go to the Create user profile page, select OK, your phone will be displayed, you can choose to keep that name or rename the profile (that is what will be displayed on the MFI and the RNS510 when on the phone page) I changed mine to my first name

Step 14:
Once that's done, select OK, you will see this in the MFI and on the RNS510 on the Phone page

Here are a few miscellaneous shots of the RNS510

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Your post continued with pics fixed:

Step 15:
Press on the center "Phone" button on the left steering wheel button pad, you will access the Phone menu

If you scroll down to settings, you will see ....... the settings lol, one of them is the ring tone, I changed mine to TUTTUT

Here are some various MFI shots

If you need to make the car's Bluetooth visible, press the overhead button with the Bluetooth logo (front left on my car) it will make the car visible for 3 mins

Step 16 (are we still counting here ?):
VAG COM, go to the 16-Steering Wheel module, click on Coding - 07, and change the coding according to the pop up bubble, on my car I had to change to 3rd digit from the right from a 5 to a 7

That will make the lower button on the steering wheel activate your voice recognition (as explained in the beginning of this DIY)

Remember, I am not responsible for anything that happens while you do this, so do it at your own risk !
Enjoy !!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very nice ! Leaps and bounds over what came with the car. What did it set you back if you don't mind me asking... ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
50 Posts
I contacted Steve about it at the end of last week. He wrote back quickly and sent me an invoice via PayPal. I have paid and now just waiting for the module to come. Thanks for the DIY write-up. I am assuming you had to change your 5 to a 7 because you have a manual, and DSG owners will switch from 6 to 8.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Correct. One of the notes I added to the writeup:

For all 2010 (or with steering wheel software version # higher than 0110 (in the above screenshot it's 0111)), here are some codes that will activate the push to talk voice control button on the steering wheel:
0001831 (automatic trans, no rear wiper)
0000731 (manual trans, no rear wiper)
0001832 (automatic trans, rear wiper)
0000732 (manual trans, rear wiper)

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Just installed the upgraded controller (part # 1Z0 035 729 E) and the VCDS will not allow any changes to the steering wheel coding. As a result there is no voice command. Any thoughts?
This may sound strange, but does locking and unlocking the doors make any difference? What was the original code and what code are you trying to enter? What car/model/trim are you installing it on? If the code is not valid then VCDS will reject it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This may sound strange, but does locking and unlocking the doors make any difference? What was the original code and what code are you trying to enter? What car/model/trim are you installing it on? If the code is not valid then VCDS will reject it.
The car is a 2010 JSW TDI with the Navi system. I had the dealer install it so I'm not sure what the current codes are, or what the tech was trying to enter. My impression in speaking with the tech was that the steering wheel controls were off not available for change at all.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The car is a 2010 JSW TDI with the Navi system. I had the dealer install it so I'm not sure what the current codes are, or what the tech was trying to enter. My impression in speaking with the tech was that the steering wheel controls were off not available for change at all.
What that car you should have voice control by pressing the overhead button with no changes in coding after adding 9w7. If you change the code, it should activate the steering wheel voice control button. I've personally done it on a 2010 Jetta and 2010 Golf, I don't see why the 2010 JSW TDI should be any different and I haven't heard any comments that it didn't work. The codes are in the 9w7 writeup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What that car you should have voice control by pressing the overhead button with no changes in coding after adding 9w7. If you change the code, it should activate the steering wheel voice control button. I've personally done it on a 2010 Jetta and 2010 Golf, I don't see why the 2010 JSW TDI should be any different and I haven't heard any comments that it didn't work. The codes are in the 9w7 writeup.
I'll check with the tech, but the over head buttons are disabled, and the "Phone" button next to the Nav screen (and the mic button on the steering wheel) merely mute the stereo. Also, the telephone number pad and pre-sets do not come up in the Nav screen.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I'll check with the tech, but the over head buttons are disabled, and the "Phone" button next to the Nav screen (and the mic button on the steering wheel) merely mute the stereo. Also, the telephone number pad and pre-sets do not come up in the Nav screen.
Ah, I just referenced the part number, it's a 9w3, not a 9w7 module. Since you posted in the 9w7 thread I thought it was a 9w7. Even still, the functionality should be the same. The difference on the 9w7 is the internal bluetooth antenna and ad2p bluetooth streaming. It may need a different code.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stereo or just mono?

Hi guys, just got my 9w7 installed by the dealer (it was meant to be in from new) but they don't know how to code the steering wheel. I showed them this info and they said the screen shots don't look like their system - any ideas what I can tell them to change - some vw reference for the field or something?

Second - and I haven't been able to find any ref to this - is the 9w7 actually stereo with a2dp or just dual channel mono? Far as I can tell with my tests it's mono through all speakers unless they stuffed something up on my install. Anyone else actually checked?

Cheers from a new member

1 - 17 of 17 Posts