VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it when I disconnected my 2000 TDI beetle's battery did I have to get the computer cleared of the fact that the battery was disconnected? Sorry, I was not present when the mechanic reset the code so I cannot be specific on what was reset on the car's computer but I'm sure the battery was the reason. If you are not supposed to disconnect the battery, how do you prepare for the battery change? Appreciate the chance to ask these questions...Thanks :mad:

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Not sure what code was set, I've disconnected the battery with no ill effects. Maybe he meant the radio code? If you disconnect the battery it could reset the radio and make it display "safe". You just need the radio code to reset it.

There are cig light adapters that use a small battery to keep the system connected while you disconnect the battery.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
strange, I've disconnected the battery a few times, sometimes the radio goes into safe, other times nothing has happened.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Fluid, iansw, grn04 for the feedback. I'll make something similar to the Memory Maintainer, looks simple enough. Yeah, the problem I had was with not being able to start my engine until I had the computer cleared. I'm still wondering why or If that was designed into the car.
:eek2:

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
A radio code shouldn't prevent the car from starting. If the car doesn't start, it could be an ecu code, it could be a bad relay, but it's not the radio code. You'd have to ask the mechanic exactly what was done and what the code was.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to my Haynes Manual I can clear most ECM codes with an OBD-II scanner. ECM and ECU are the same thing? I imagine the VAG-COM would be the ultimate tool instead of an OBD-II Scanner, yes/no? However, can I use VAG-COM for my Chevy S-10 or my Toyota Highlander? Thanks All...

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
vagcom has VW specific features but will work on any obd2 car. However, it's features will be limited to generic obd2 codes. vagcom is 10000x better than a generic scanner because of the VW specific features. For example, the immobilizer, the radio, the climate control, seeing the auto trans temp, etc. Worth every penny

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
My wife just purchased a 2000 NB and of course the radio was locked. I took the removal tools and the left side will insert and lock in but the right side will only go partially in and then stops, tried swapping the tools but each does the same thing on the right side. My question is how to remove radio if it will not unlock? Hacksaw?

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
offtopic2

gino5 I've only just noticed you've made 59 posts but you don't show any car or your location is it that secretive?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts