VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, new to this forum. Long, but do not want to leave anything out.

Previuos post under wrong car - mine's a mark 4

2003 TDI - Low fuel milage lately - so found a hose dis-connected from just under the MAF sensor back to the firewall. Hooked it back up. Took it for a test drive and it ran like crap. Tried un-hooking MAF drove, then hooked back up - still not running right.

Hooked my scan tool up (not vag-com) just to see if any codes, and it showed getting no power. So checked fuses by pulling them since fuse card is no help.

Then it will crank over, but not start. Oddly does not show the glow plug light at all.

So figuring I got nothing to lose dis-connected battery - no change.

THEN found in manual NOT to dis-connect battery. I suspect I did something stupid and wiped the car specific info. from the ECU when checking the fuses.

So - any tricks I can do? Or does the ECU need to be re-flashed? If so is this a dealer only thing?

Tim in MN

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The hose under the MAF sensor is to get a source for clean air, it can be removed and the car should run fine. I can't see how replacing that hose would make it run worse.

I'm pretty sure your relay 109 is bad. However, this is unrelated to low power/mileage. Look under the dash, the relay marked 109 is bad if you don't see the glow plug light at all when the engine will crank but won't start AND there's no glow plug light.

The ECU should still work fine, drive the car around for a while to see if the codes come back up. Tackle 1 issue at a time.

I don't see how you wiped the car specific info from the ECU. If this is a reference to the immobilizer, the car should still start, it'll just die after 2 seconds. In other words, if there was a problem by disconnecting the battery from the immobilizer, it would still start but the anti-theft immobilizer would shut it off after 2 seconds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank-you

Hi Appreciate the feedback. It's really got me stumped. I'll research the relay 109 problem.

Thnak-you!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found no start problem

Had fuse in wrong position. Now engine will not rev above 3000 with lots of smoke. Looked at timing belt, saw no cracks or missing cogs. Anti-shudder valve is not stuck.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed!!!!

Hi, article did the trick - step 8A. There is a check valve as part of n75; the hose had slipped off the back of this check valve. You can not see the back of the check valve, I found it when I started to replace vacuum hoses.

The check valve has tapered fittings, and the hose was old enough to just slip off. I put new hoses on this valve, and then ty-wrapped the hoses.

I'm guessing I had no turbo, and the car went into full limp mode.

My thanks to all who helped. I would have been absolutely lost without the expertise on the folks on this board!!

Tim

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Hi, article did the trick - step 8A. There is a check valve as part of n75; the hose had slipped off the back of this check valve. You can not see the back of the check valve, I found it when I started to replace vacuum hoses.

The check valve has tapered fittings, and the hose was old enough to just slip off. I put new hoses on this valve, and then ty-wrapped the hoses.

I'm guessing I had no turbo, and the car went into full limp mode.

My thanks to all who helped. I would have been absolutely lost without the expertise on the folks on this board!!

Tim
:thumbsup good to hear!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts