VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently removed the turbo from my 2003 golf TDI and was looking for some help (tricks of the trade) to intall the new one. I am also trying to come up with a DX why the unit failed. When I bought the car it was had 80K and was a brand new veggie conversion. I'm certain the turbo was on its way out at that time as it was popping an engine light and the turbo going to 'limp mode". The turbo finally died as evidenced by the total loss of power and blue smoke out the exhaust. Sure enough, when removed the exhaust side of the unit was full of oil and wouldn't turn easily. I've cleaned the EGR/intake manifold (VERY plugged up) and orderred all my replacement parts. I decided to replace the manifold studs and retork to spec etc. I want this to be the last time I do this and would appreciate all the help/suggestions I can get.

Thanks for your help in advance
Bob O.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
response to turbo installation "Q"

Thanks,
This is the a great site, full of great information pics etc. I'm a bit anal about these projects and chose to replace ALL gaskets as well as exhaust manifold studs/washers/nuts to get true torque settings. Is there anything else you couldd recommend to the first timer?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I try to write every writeup on a basic level so anything I know is in there, if you learn anything, please post a follow up and it can be added.

I don't know if you got a new oil line but I'd just get a new one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts