VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't test drove the Golf TDI yet since it's so high in demand and most dealers here in southern Cali are out of stock..however, there are a few Jetta SportWagen available... I decided to test drive one yesterday, and man, it was a pretty good car.... the suspension tends to drag a little.... and it feels like more of a sturdier car...yet, I'm going to be missing out on the loads of standard equipment that the Golf offers...

Any opinions....

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Even though they are based off the same design...I still think they feel very different cars. I haven't driven the wagon but I've seen plenty of pics so I can't comment on how it drives but I don't see why it would be too different.

This is just my preference but I prefer the 2 door Golf over the 4 door. The 2 door is less practical but I just like the look better. If you need the cargo space you can't beat the wagon. I also like the fact that the Golf gets the mk6 chassis upgrades, while the wagon only gets some mk6 cosmetic changes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
No xenons on the JSW= add $2000. That would be a dealbreaker for me. No foglights either. But then again, the Golf doesn't have leather, only cloth. Cloth should be more breatheable than the leatherette in the JSW though.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Drove both and purchased a Golf. Liked the sport suspension on the Golf more. The first question I would ask is can you live with the smaller size of the Golf?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm surprised anybody is buying anything. I called and the dealer told me they don't have anything and don't expect any cars until next year! A regular bunch of know nothings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't test drove the Golf TDI yet since it's so high in demand and most dealers here in southern Cali are out of stock..however, there are a few Jetta SportWagen available... I decided to test drive one yesterday, and man, it was a pretty good car.... the suspension tends to drag a little.... and it feels like more of a sturdier car...yet, I'm going to be missing out on the loads of standard equipment that the Golf offers...

Any opinions....
It seems like a question of how much cargo space you need. I bought a Golf TDI a couple weeks ago, and it's fun as hell to drive. Maybe not quite a GTI, but the same general driving characteristics - tight & nimble - and 40 MPG. Plenty of room for 4 passengers, the main size difference is in the trunk area, which is quite a lot smaller.

In contrast I drove a SportWagen a few months ago because all the specs looked good, but it drives like a hippo on Qualudes. It drove about like my 1997 subaruy - everything about it was loose and sluggish.

So, if you need the cargo room, see if you can live with the handling. If you don't need a wagon, the golf is a lot more fun to drive.

Just my two cents...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts