VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My owner's manual calls for DOT 4, what is the difference between fluids? Can I use DOT 34? I've read that DOT 5 is synthetic silicone, wouldn't this be best?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You can use DOT "3and4" or DOT 4. You should be able to find it at any parts store. Don't use DOT 5, ever. It's not designed for the VW. A quick google showed this:

DOT 3 brake fluids are mixtures of glycols and glycol ethers. DOT 4 contains borate esters in addition to what is contained in DOT 3. DOT 5 is silicone chemistry

DOT 4 glycol based fluid has a higher boiling point (446F) than DOT 3 (401F), and both fluids will exhibit a reduced boiling point as water content increases. DOT 5 in its pure state offers a higher boiling point (500F) however if water got into the system, and a big globule found its way into a caliper, the water would start to boil at 212F causing a vapor lock condition [possible brake failure].

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Get a pressure bleeder or a mity-vac to bleed the brakes - it'll make it go much faster. Also don't use old brake fluid because it absorbs moisture out of the air. I know that if dot /4 brake fluid gets on the paint, it'll strip it so make sure to wash and wipe down any drips.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
On my previous Skoda 1.8T 20V, I raised the bar somewhat by using DOT 5.1 !
This quality is still Glycos, but with higher bolingpoint, the most noteable change was the Speed that the ABS-system worked with. Much higher frequency !
Although the best improvement was when re-newing the rubber brake-hoses to Airline-qual steel-bredded !
Funny thing is that they came cheaper than OE's ! and they were made by the factory that makes Yamaha bike breakes for the GP factory team ! ISR in Sweden (y)

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
There is a bit of confusion over DOT5 fluid and its use

As mentioned DOT5 is silicon based and is not compatible with any other fluid DO NOT USE IN YOUR VW/AUDI!

Also mentioned is DOT5.1 which is a new high performance fluid but it is based on the same chemistry as the DOT3 and 4 fluids used on most cars and is entirely compatible with them so can be used for re-fills and top ups

I have a can ready for a drain and re-fill in the next few weeks when I do my next service

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
If Your hesitant of what quality to use : http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/brake__45__clutch_fluids/cid(555)/brake_/_clutch_fluid_dot_5_70_1

or even: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid

I have tried DOT 6.0 , but this is over-kill and needs more pedal-Power . It's often used in TouringCarChampionship Racing together with High-performance Brakes.

It's quite common that carefull owners change the Fluid min every 2 Years, but how common is it to change the rubber breakhoses ?
Have a friend push down the breakpedal HARD, while You're holding the hose with Thumb and Indexfinger. If the hose seems to expand ? Change !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts