VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2011 Jetta TDI Highline (Canadian Edition) yesterday and noticed some differences from my privious Jetta (2009)

1. mirror control moved
2. more plastic panels rather than traditional soft letterete covers
3. lost power recliner
4. lost handy ajustable armrest
5. rear seat armrest simplized (it is still good though)
6. lost trunk divider on the right side (that was a handy feature and not costs much, but...)

Good about it:
1. multi-display radio works fine and nice with bluetooth streaming. (no navigation RC310)
2. sunroof chrome knob feels better than previus plastic knob.
3. air conditioner adjust knob feels better
4. door realese handle inside trigger force is lighter than before
5. dash cluster display is comfortable white (electroluminated) to look at rather than irratating blue
6. rear seat 12V socket

Problem:

1. Multi-Interface is not compatible with Iphone 4, when hooked up, only right channel sounds, left channel muted.., service told me it needs a firmwire upgrade later... dont know when..2. Rattle on the passenger mirror, promised to fix next day.

Feels still a Jetta with a little downgrading feeling, 2 years later might change better material on door inserts and dashboard.

Good luck guys!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got a 2011 Jetta TDI Highline (Canadian Edition) yesterday and noticed some differences from my privious Jetta (2009)

1. mirror control moved
3. lost power recliner
6. lost trunk divider on the right side (that was a handy feature and not costs much, but...)

Good about it:
1. multi-display radio works fine and nice with bluetooth streaming. (no navigation RC310)
5. dash cluster display is comfortable white (electroluminated) to look at rather than irratating blue
6. rear seat 12V socket

Problem:

1. Multi-Interface is not compatible with Iphone 4, when hooked up, only right channel sounds, left channel muted.., service told me it needs a firmwire upgrade later... dont know when..2. Rattle on the passenger mirror, promised to fix next day.

Feels still a Jetta with a little downgrading feeling, 2 years later might change better material on door inserts and dashboard.

Good luck guys!
nice, those are very good observations. Can't wait until i get mine.....

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
The fact that the iPhone4 works badly is hardly surprising. Apple typically makes a buggy version (software, features, completion ...) available.

Bluetooth on iphones has been particularly notorious. The wife's new iphone 4 was awful with any of the 4-5 headsets and car/gps devices we have the option of using, while my ancient Nokia was flawless. The iPhone 4.1 update last month helped *a bit*. The iPhone also lags all other companies (Sony, Nokia, motorola ...) in Bluetooth feature completeness - only recently did they add stereo music streaming, previous/next track control from headset etc. Annoying enough that I'd never consider an iPhone for myself!

Back (more) on topic - glad to hear music streaming works largely well on the new audio system. I'm soncidering the 2011 Golf TDI (couldn't live with a torsion beam rear suspension and the ridiculous overall decontenting of the Jetta), and it is good to know about the things that DO work well or were improved ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
iPhone issue with VW

My iphone 4 is not updated to 4.1xx yet, however, I m totally agree with that iphone 4 bluetooth is the worst one.

My family has a Mercedes Benz, the bluetooth connection for iphone works, however is not as smooth as other korean phones. (it hesitate and slow when do the initialzation-pair) and the icon on the iphone never let you fee sure about the connectivity..... once it is linked, it works fine with either VW and Mercedes.

The streaming is good in VW, though the Mercedes does not have the bt streaming function at all! only multi-interface which is hard to reach, hard to link, glove box (same as VW way) I prefer the connection in the center arm console, however, it seems nobody cares....

Another surprise for my 2011 Jetta TDI is that the dashboard actually has an ambient light sensor, when it is bright, the dasboard is white, when outside is dark, the dashboard turn off to force you to turn on the light. If they spend money on this, why not make an automatic light on instead of mannually turn on headlight? I totally don't understand VW way to control the light.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My iphone 4 is not updated to 4.1xx yet, however, I m totally agree with that iphone 4 bluetooth is the worst one.

My family has a Mercedes Benz, the bluetooth connection for iphone works, however is not as smooth as other korean phones. (it hesitate and slow when do the initialzation-pair) and the icon on the iphone never let you fee sure about the connectivity..... once it is linked, it works fine with either VW and Mercedes.

The streaming is good in VW, though the Mercedes does not have the bt streaming function at all! only multi-interface which is hard to reach, hard to link, glove box (same as VW way) I prefer the connection in the center arm console, however, it seems nobody cares....

Another surprise for my 2011 Jetta TDI is that the dashboard actually has an ambient light sensor, when it is bright, the dasboard is white, when outside is dark, the dashboard turn off to force you to turn on the light. If they spend money on this, why not make an automatic light on instead of mannually turn on headlight? I totally don't understand VW way to control the light.
The light sensor for the headlights is behind the middle rear view mirror so that it looks out. Maybe the dashboard light sensor may get shaded by the sunvisors or windshield pillars. I agree though, just put the sensor in the very front of the car and control it that way. The sensor might be used in the climate control too but it might only be for the auto climate control cars.

·
Registered
76 Posts

1. mirror control moved
3. lost power recliner

Good about it:
6. rear seat 12V socket
...snip
This is why I opted to grab a 2010 over a 2011. Seems they cheaped out on the 2011's. Only thing seemingly better the 2011s come with is the 9w7 bluetooth module, and that's a simple fix, although it's $300+. Plus the 2010's here have 0% interest and a small dealer incentive right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is why I opted to grab a 2010 over a 2011. Seems they cheaped out on the 2011's.
Pretty much my take as well. I'm awaiting delivery of a 125 Highline (should be this coming week!). Of course the 2011 model won't be available here in Oz until well into next year which made the decision to replace my 2006 103TDI with the current version fairly easy. And while we get the Euro spec suspension in the new version, the 125kw motor isn't being imported - at least at this stage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Speaking of the side view mirrors, is it correct that the 2011 has fixed (breakable) mirrors whereas the 2010 has folding (forgiving) mirrors?

I think I observed the above difference at the dealer but I would like confirmation.

Also looked at the 2011 TDI buyers guide thread on this web site and it looked like the 2011 would not fold, just based on the appearance of the mirror mount, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was in a showroom and I think the 2011 mirrors fold farther out. The one I saw was an S and the unpainted side mirrors looked really bad. How much does it cost to just paint the mirror housings? It was't a nice plastic finish either, no paint made it look unfinished.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was in a showroom and I think the 2011 mirrors fold farther out. The one I saw was an S and the unpainted side mirrors looked really bad. How much does it cost to just paint the mirror housings? It was't a nice plastic finish either, no paint made it look unfinished.
What do you mean, "fold farther out". Did you mean "stick farther out" ??

My previous question was posted because it looked to me like the side mirrors DO NOT FOLD (that is, they do not have a hinge),

Unhinged/non-foldable mirrors will break off instead of fold if you hit something with the mirror. Say if you brush against the side of your garage door, or a parking garage concrete column, or another car, by accident. That is the problem, and I'd mostly definitely prefer a car to have foldable/hinged mirrors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the US at least, fold-away mirrors have been a safety requirement for a very long time. And when you see these in the lot, just off the truck, they are all folded.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In the US at least, fold-away mirrors have been a safety requirement for a very long time. And when you see these in the lot, just off the truck, they are all folded.
Are you sure? I have seen lots of cars that do not have fold-away mirrors here in California, also in recent years. Do you have a reference to such a law?

I think many imported cars, especially Japanese ones, often have them. It makes it easier to stack them tightly when transporting them on a ship across the Pacific ocean...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Confimed: Mirrors do fold

I went to the dealer today to find the answer to my question:

The salesperson showed me that the mirrors do indeed fold. I even tried to fold them myself.

The mirrors just look (to me) like they would not, but I can now say with 100% certainty that they do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts