VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering this for quite a while now.

Wouldn't a diesel engine hooked up to an infinitely variable CVT be the perfect combination?

You figure that the VW 4 cylinder diesel engines are most efficient around 2000 RPM, and also make the most torque at 2000 RPM. So, if the CVT was engineered to operate in almost all conditions except idle and zero throttle at 2000 RPM, wouldn't that be a match made in heaven?

I haven't done much research on CVTs, but just in theory from what I know - it makes sense to me?

*For anyone who doesn't know a CVT is a Continuously Variable Transmission - Look it up on Wikipedia for some quick information*

This is not a discussion about the "FUN" of it or whether or not you would buy one. It's merely a hypothetical discussion about whether it would be able to produce both maximum power and efficiency at the same time.

Personally, I would hate to have a CVT in my car. I already hate automatics, CVTs are even worse to me. I love a 3 pedal, manual transmission vehicle. That doesn't mean I'm not interested in the feasability and economy/performance of developing a CVT for a diesel drivetrain.

That is what this discussion is about.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd be afraid it would blow apart. Aren't they torque limited? You'd have to have a really beefy one for a TDI. From what it looks like, it sounds like it would always be in the right gear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine would be a smaller more efficient engine - e.g. the 1.6 turbo diesel from european VWs. A cvt would be able to handle the torque loads from that.

I'm not worried about the torque limitations of a CVT, this is theoretical and about developing a cvt transmission specifically for diesel application.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts