VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 months ago my glow plug light started flashing up on the dash, this went on for a few weeks, randomly flashing up one or twice a week. Then on occasions the engine would cut out, the glow plug light would flash up and stay on until I restarted the engine.

I had the glow plugs and the glow plug relay changed and but it was still cutting out occasionally and eventually one morning last week it just wouldn’t start. The engine would turn but not fire, I towed it to the local garage who informed me that the Diesel stop solenoid was not being a activated.

They managed to wire 12v + directly to the diesel solenoid and get it starting but when it starts it then only runs in limp-mode/30% power. After several hours work the mechanic admitted he just can’t work it out, so if anyone has any ideas I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
482 Posts
What year/model? How's the wiring harness? Any cracks? Carefully follow the wires coming from the harness and inspect for places where it's cracked or rubbing through. There's a FAQ article on fixing limp mode but you should really get the error codes first.

The flashing light means something is wrong, not necessarily the glow plugs. One common one is the brake pedal sensor. Scan for error codes before throwing parts at it. It's not relay 109 which controls the ECU because if relay 109 was bad the glow plug light wouldn't be on. If it's on while you're no-start is acting up it's not relay 109. If it's out during no-start, relay 109 is suspect.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts