VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm really wondering about this... since I drive a lot and am at a crux between buying a pre-2005.5 TDI or a newer 2009+

Question: Diesel stations. I know the fuel neck for the 2005.5 and above is different from the previous years (no vent button and ribbed around the hole). So, if I need to fill up at a truck stop, would I still be able to? Or is there more chance of it spilling all over me, even on the lowest setting?

I ask that because on my long trips, the most available diesel is at truck stops (obviously), so finding a regular gas station with diesel is usually harder to find, depending on the State you're in.

I drive approximately 45,000 miles per year. (about 125 / day round-trip for work and excursions, family vacations, etc)

Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nope, only passenger car sized nozzles will fit in the 2005.5+. Older cars could use the large truck sized nozzles. You could make an adapter using a funnel but then you have a dripping funnel to put in the trunk.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Nope, only passenger car sized nozzles will fit in the 2005.5+. Older cars could use the large truck sized nozzles. You could make an adapter using a funnel but then you have a dripping funnel to put in the trunk.
Exactly. You can rest it on top of the "ribs" but it won't go in all the way. You can still get fuel in but just don't pull the fuel nozzle handle much or else it will splash out. I don't know why they did this. Here is a pic showing the 2005.5+ neck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! This really irritates me. Because it somewhat "limits" the range you get per tank if you haven't a clue when & where the next diesel station will be!! It would suck to say, "Yeah, I ran out of fuel because I couldn't find a diesel station that this car can take." While others laugh at you for running out of fuel because you have a diesel engine. Truck stops are all over the place.

It must be a poor marketing ploy... to make sure people use regular gas station diesel instead of the trucker's pumps, where the diesel is recycled/replenished more often (and better for your car).

Which also makes me want to see if there's a conversion for the nozzle neck... or if you can "remove" or shave off those ribs.

I prefer to get a 2009+ Jetta TDI Wagon, if possible... versus an older TDI that you may/may not know the life's maintenance history... not to mention old parts wearing away. Not being able to fill up anywhere puts a kink in my buying decision.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Having last owned a Diesel VW way back in 1979, I was also concerned about this.

But I just got back from a round trip MA --> FL --> MA and never had even the hint of a problem finding fuel. Trust me, it's a non-issue. Once in SC I encountered a pump that was so slow I'd probably still be there, so I hung it up, paid the $3 I had used, and drove all the way (across the street) to the next nearest station.

If you have a smartphone it becomes even less than a non-issue. I ended up using the "WHERE" app on my iPhone mostly for motels and only once or twice to determine the nearest (of many choices) place to get fuel and its price.

-dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After some google it , I found this link for a home-made adapter.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=113333&page=5

It makes sense... just would have to have the right tools (which I don't have) and materials to make it. So, maybe if I do end up buying a newer TDI, I'll enlist someone to build it and I'll pay'em.

Otherwise, they say usually at truck stops - the pump nearest the building or on the front or end of the line of diesel pumps, usually has the smaller nozzle for cars & lower rate of pumping speed.

It's good to know you went from MA -> FL and back without an issue. My trips are usually between OH & VA and sometimes OH & NC. Hypothetically speaking, I could probably make it from OH to VA & back on 1 tank of diesel with a slight additional fill-up. Versus my 3-4 total on the regular gas engine.

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've never had a problem finding suitable stations and I wouldn't want to carry a stinky dripping funnel around. I carry a paper towel so I don't have to touch the pump handle either. Like danham said, just find another station.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts