VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/05/16/i-lautomobile-i-publishes-own-list-of-less-polluting-cars/

One of France's most prestigious car magazines, l'Automobile, believes that considering CO2 as the only pollutant to adapt legislation is unfair. Hence the magazine editors came up their own list that includes all pollutants coming from the exhaust pipe. The list is actually pretty harsh on small displacement diesels, which are the ones that benefit from low-CO2 legislation, because not also have Diesel Particulate Filters installed. This lack is something the new Euro V rules are fixing for introduction starting in September, but will not be fully mandatory until 2011. The magazine raised its hackles on this issue, stating that particulates coming out of diesel engines are the most important source of pollution, far ahead CO2. Nevertheless, the classification is very interesting and you can find their system and the complete list after the jump (can you spot the obvious missing car?).

How did l'Automobile create their list? Each car was given a mark from 0 to 1,000 depending on CO2 emissions: 1,000 points for 0 g/km (EV) and 0 for those producing 500 g/km. Other pollutants were rated on other scales, based on three pollutants from gasoline engines (carbon monoxyde, hydrocarbons and Nitrogen oxydes) and an additional fourth one for diesels (particulates). In order to create a fair classification, an average was made, although the magazine found no scientific method to evaluate diesels and gasoline engines together. A car that scored 500 points as an average on the pollutants scale was also Euro IV compliant. All cars available in the French market, 969 diesel and 1240 gasoline, were included in the list. The top 30 in each class are shown below.
Some VAG highlights below

AUDI A3 Sportback 1.9 e TDI 105 ch DPF M5

VOLKSWAGEN Passat CC 2.0 TDI 140 ch DPF M6

AUDI A4 2.0 TDI CR 120 ch DPF M6

the top gas cars for comparison
HONDA Insight 1.3 IMA 98 ch CVT
TOYOTA iQ 1.0 VVT-i 69 ch M5

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been checking out the Honda insight...the electric and gas engine combined, it has 98 hp and 123 torque. Not very good but the car only weighs 2730 lbs. Even still, the 1/4 mile is 18 seconds....talk about slow!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've been checking out the Honda insight...the electric and gas engine combined, it has 98 hp and 123 torque. Not very good but the car only weighs 2730 lbs. Even still, the 1/4 mile is 18 seconds....talk about slow!
That's enough power to move around. A turbo diesel feels faster because of the low end power and turbo power delivery.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not bad...I've also started to see some TDI ads on TV. It has the black classic bug and a TDI talking to a hybrid owner about the engine sounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts