VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Does anyone have a delayed sound from the horn on the mk6 jetta or golf tdi? When the horn is applied, it sounds after about 1/2 second, not right when the airbag is depressed. Perhaps the problem is in the bcm?! Is there any update to modify the issue other than wiring separate horn circuit? The mk4 models do not have the same problem. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,403 Posts
What does that have to do with sideview mirrors Peter? Your adding to an old post thats not related make a new thread.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I read on another forum (can't remember which) that someone has actually filed a complaint with the NTHSB about this very thing.

I honestly don't know if I've even honked yet.. LOL (car is still pretty new).. but this is obviously a safety issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2010 JSW TDI does the same thing. It's very annoying. If you just want to tap the horn to wake someone up who doesn't see the light turn green, you get nothing. Then when you hit it a little longer, you get a good one second blast.

I think it's the brilliant canbus system. When you press the horn switch you're telling the computer you want the horn to honk, then it decides when and how long it wants to honk.

Jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
The delay in horn only happens to Golf and Jetta/Golf Wagon's i think. I dont have that delay in the Jetta. Actually i've installed airhorns in the Jetta and its faster then the wife's 2010 Golf Horns.

I think the golf's use the CECM to turn the horn, Jetta's just have it hard wired to fuse.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, our 11 JSW TDI has this same issue, me and the wife (her daily driver) both hate the delay as my other vehicle and other vehicles in the past haven't had this annoying delay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I honestly just wish the action was a little "lighter".

Sometimes I just want to give a little tap of the horn to move people along at a light, but all I can get is a full on honk.. and after I "try" tapping it a few times to no avail I give it the beans and blow them up. By the time all of this has transpired they've already started moving and all of a sudden I'm the a**hole even though they were the ones to decided to re-organize their glovebox at a red light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This 1/2 second delay is in the horn itself. I have 2012 jetta TDI. I did change my horns from factory to Roots Megasonic. My Roots horns just worked fine and there was no delay. So I belive its the horn itself is creating that delay. So those who hates that delay in the factory horns, may think of changing to new set of after market horns on the same wiring harness.

·
Super Moderator
9,403 Posts
offtopic
Welcome to the forum sunny. welcometomyturbodies

Please add 2012 to your car spec as we hate guessing?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts