VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is $23,319.88 out the door price is OK for this car:
2011 VW Golf Engine: 2.0L 16-valve turbocharged TDI I4 Six speed manual Trim:Hatchback Manuel TDI Body Style: 2 door car Ext color: Shark Blue Metallic Int color: Titan Black

Bluetooth = $295
Mat kit = $235
MSRP is $24,110 including those options on the car.

Invoice is $23,106 including destination charge + tax, title and license.
Out the door price is $23,319.88

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is an excellent price - I am paying $500 over invoice, if your price is truly OTD, then that is simply fantastic.

Really,
b

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer price quote feedback big thank you to BillyA

When I arrive at this out of town dealership by flying to their city, I'll find out just how honest they are about the OTD price. I'm bringing my checkbook to pay in full, but also am prepared to purchase a return plane ticket home if there is any funny business.
I'll have to print out the break in suggestions for the TDI engine on my drive back home on the interstate.

BillyA, thanks! I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
43 Posts
OP, your car is exactly the same is mine, except mine is black and its a 2010. I paid a little under $23g OTD.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your OTD price

Now I know the price is in the ballpark range of an average price. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought in December (2009) for $350 under MSRP and though I had gotten a GREAT deal. Folks were asking $1000 over and supply was tight. Of course the 2009 buy date gave full credit on the lean burn ($1700) and a federal deduction for the sales tax, which was worth about $400 in my case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I bought in 08, I got a great deal on an 09 Jetta TDI (I paid $23400 OTD), but when I went looking now for a 2011 Golf TDI, I could not find any deals, in fact most dealer in S FL, wanted MSRP. Make sure you deal is really OTD, get it in writing. So that's $25.5k plus tax.

When I say $500 over invoice, I still have to pay dealer fee (I HATE that) and tax.

This week I will find out if my order was accepted by the order bank.

Best of luck.

-b

·
Registered
7 Posts
Invoice vs. MSRP

There seems to be some confusion on new car pricing. Some posters have quoted that they paid $xxx "below invoice", when I suspect they mean "below MSRP".

I know that for most part, I'm singing to the choir here but in an effort to clarify things a bit let me point out that MSRP, the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, is not the same as Invoice. The MSRP is the factory sticker price as seen on the window sticker.
Dealer "added value" pricing [sic] would be over MSRP. There's a dealer in Vancouver, WA who marks TDIs up $9000 - that's no typo, nine grand! :eek I know there's more demand out here on the left coast but that's ridiculous!

Invoice pricing is the price the factory bills or invoices the dealer for the car - thus the term. Simplistically, it's the dealer's cost though it doesn't take into account any hidden incentives which lower the dealer's actual cost. See http://www.essortment.com/home/msrpbaseprice_szmh.htm

It's not common to see OTD pricing below invoice on VWs, especially TDIs though it's not unheard of. If there are dealers who routinely do that, please share that information. I'm sure we'd all be happy to do business there.

We have a 2011 Golf TDI on order from J.P. at Mankato Motors in Mankato, MN. Why you ask would we travel 1700 miles to get a few bucks off? Three reasons: No local dealer will sell below MSRP and they say they can't place a factory order. Plus we'd be going that way anyway since we plan to give our 2001 to our daughter in Madison, WI. Mankato has factory ordered us a car equipped exactly the way we want it with an attractive out-the-door price as follows:

2011 Golf TDI 4-door in Shark Blue Metallic
DSG Transmission - SWMBO's Xmas present ;o)
Sunroof
Xenon Headlights with AFS
RNS 315 Navigation
Cold Weather Package
Protection Kit
Bluetooth 9W7

MSRP: $28,545;
OTD Price: $27,334 - $850 tax credit = $26,484
Availability: mid-December - a great time for a cross-country trip, no?

Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Terms may have confused me into. . .

paying more than I wanted.

But I'm coming up on age 68 and took the plunge.

I have a grandson in St Louis, Mo that I want to see and needed a high mpg car to make it cheap enough to visit more often. Plane fair is a bit high for as many times as I want to travel.

I bought my Golf TDI from ArcherVW in Houston and will pick it up this coming Thursday.

With the purchase of this Golf, my Ford Expedition (11 mpg) will become heavy lifting occasional use vehicle. The annual fuel savings should pay for the insurance on both the Ford and the Golf.

No regrets!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought the last 2010 model off the lot - definately no negotiating power on these. I was lucky to get $300 off MSRP and thier promo finance rates @ 1.9%.

Either way - no regrets, I love this thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There seems to be some confusion on new car pricing. Some posters have quoted that they paid $xxx "below invoice", when I suspect they mean "below MSRP".

I know that for most part, I'm singing to the choir here but in an effort to clarify things a bit let me point out that MSRP, the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, is not the same as Invoice. The MSRP is the factory sticker price as seen on the window sticker.
Dealer "added value" pricing [sic] would be over MSRP. There's a dealer in Vancouver, WA who marks TDIs up $9000 - that's no typo, nine grand! :eek I know there's more demand out here on the left coast but that's ridiculous!

Invoice pricing is the price the factory bills or invoices the dealer for the car - thus the term. Simplistically, it's the dealer's cost though it doesn't take into account any hidden incentives which lower the dealer's actual cost. See http://www.essortment.com/home/msrpbaseprice_szmh.htm

It's not common to see OTD pricing below invoice on VWs, especially TDIs though it's not unheard of. If there are dealers who routinely do that, please share that information. I'm sure we'd all be happy to do business there.

We have a 2011 Golf TDI on order from J.P. at Mankato Motors in Mankato, MN. Why you ask would we travel 1700 miles to get a few bucks off? Three reasons: No local dealer will sell below MSRP and they say they can't place a factory order. Plus we'd be going that way anyway since we plan to give our 2001 to our daughter in Madison, WI. Mankato has factory ordered us a car equipped exactly the way we want it with an attractive out-the-door price as follows:

2011 Golf TDI 4-door in Shark Blue Metallic
DSG Transmission - SWMBO's Xmas present ;o)
Sunroof
Xenon Headlights with AFS
RNS 315 Navigation
Cold Weather Package
Protection Kit
Bluetooth 9W7

MSRP: $28,545;
OTD Price: $27,334 - $850 tax credit = $26,484
Availability: mid-December - a great time for a cross-country trip, no?

Cheers
Hello,
I checked with the following website: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxLeanburn.shtml
The 2011 models are not in the list. Are you sure you can claim the Tax credit? Do you need to do anything special for claim the credit?

Thanks
Thomas

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Hello,
I checked with the following website: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxLeanburn.shtml
The 2011 models are not in the list. Are you sure you can claim the Tax credit? Do you need to do anything special for claim the credit?

Thanks
Thomas
According to dealer memos, the 2011 models DO qualify for the tax credits. The amounts are all the same except for the Touareg because it lost weight for 2011 which put it in a different weight class. And of course, you must put the car in service before Jan 1 2011.

You just have to fill out the form in the TDI tax credit FAQ. It might be different for the 2010 tax year. The dealer doesn't do anything on their end.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought my 2010 back in June, while the full tax credit was still in effect. I didn't see any dealers asking +$9k here in Oregon, but +$5k was pretty standard. I got mine down to +$1300. But I had little choice, as my wife and I were being very fussy on color and options, and dealer who had the car we wanted knew full well there were no other similar ones in the NW.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmmm I personally wouldn't pay a premium over MSRP on any car. I'd just look to see where they aren't as quite as popular (Arizona? Nevada?) and fly in to buy there. A $300 plane ticket and a couple days in a hotel should easily be less than even a 1K premium. And even if you have to go to the other coast, 600 miles per tank for diesel means you cant spend more than $220 or so for fuel.

We had it easy, I bought our car 10 miles from my parents house back East. They will drive the car here (Wisconsin) when they come out for an (already planned) visit. Got the car we wanted for about 2K below MSRP though it is a 2010 admittedly. Our local guy was really nice but pretty much summarily dismissed haggling on the car. He offered it at "something like $300 off MSRP" but expressly said there was no room to dicker below that. Perhaps he was just trying to start from a strong position. I have never known a salesman/dealer who could resist an offer that allows them to make a reasonable profit on principle alone. But then again, he's the only dealer in town here and he can sort of set the price for anyone not willing to look around.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hmmm I personally wouldn't pay a premium over MSRP on any car. I'd just look to see where they aren't as quite as popular (Arizona? Nevada?) and fly in to buy there. A $300 plane ticket and a couple days in a hotel should easily be less than even a 1K premium. And even if you have to go to the other coast, 600 miles per tank for diesel means you cant spend more than $220 or so for fuel.
Some of us have to work. I don't think I'd want to burn vacation time to buy a car...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some of us have to work. I don't think I'd want to burn vacation time to buy a car...
Sure I hear you, time is sometimes worth more than money no doubt. For us it was a lot easier as my folks were already coming this way. They will either tow or drive it here then drive back in the tow vehicle.

I guess I am pretty used to driving big miles as well, I drove 20K plus yearly for work in addition to a 100 mile round trip commute when I was in the office. If only I had a turbo diesel then....would have saved a lot of gas over my MKIII.

So does anyone want to pay me to go get their car for them :) ? Save up to $5K, costs will be 1 way rental car (I hate flying) and some beer money for me, easily under 1K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used edmunds to get pricing on a 2010 jetta tdi. For those familiar with edmunds they show msrp, invoice, and true market value (TmV is what people are paying in your area)

Last friday I negotiated a deal over the phone with Larson VW in Tacoma for 250 under invoice which was about 1600 under tmv. I got a great deal there were no last minute suprises and they were one of the only dealers willing to negotiate on a tdi. Everybody would deal on SEL's but I wanted the diesel. They had 18 in inventory, I bought on the last day of the month. Got fair market for my benz and it was a no bs deal.

Anybody shopping for one who is paying anywhere near msrp should consider the trip to tacoma. My deal was done entirely over the phone and took about an hour to make the paperwork happen .... 0% for five years made it a no brainer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Report on my 2011 VW Golf TDI

I took my long awaited trip to St Louis from New Orleans and it was a joy in the Golf TDI.

Stopped for fuel way inside Mo. and gas attendants were amazed that I got there on one tank.

MPG 45 on that trip.

I am getting 33.5 mpg in city driving.

I only use my 11 mpg Ford Expedition two days a week to haul my flea market stuff to sell on the weekends.

The savings in fuel are paying the insurance on both cars for an entire year.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts