VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI BEW. The car has 117K miles on it and normally runs great. I was driving it home from work 2 days ago when it lost power and stalled. I rolled it off to the side of the road and stopped. After several minutes of intermittent cranking, It started, idled for a minute and stalled. This occurred 4 or 5 times. On the 5th attempt, the car started and idled normally. I let it idle for about 15 minutes and all seemed fine. I drove it most of the way home, (about 25 miles) when it stalled again. Same symptoms, after lots of cranking, it would start, idle for a minute and stall. The fuel tank is about 3/4 full.

Today, I replaced the fuel filter. There was no fuel in the filter when I removed it. My theory is that the fuel pump is dead or dying. Any thoughts on other possibilities would be welcome!

I did recently have the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt and starter replaced.

Thanks!

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi,welcometomyturbodies. I've no idea on that one myself but I'm sure help will be along soon. Have you had a look through the how to faq at the top of the page? Might be something in there.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds plausible. even likely.

You should hear your fuel pump run for a second each time you turn the key to ON, not start. It is located under the right rear seat.

You can sometimes get it to run again for a short while by slapping the bottom of the fuel tank, or the top of the lift pump assembly.

PD lift pump thread.

Post #7 for testing.
Post #5 for replacing.
Post #70 for suction mod on new pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi DanG144,
Thank you for the info. It was very useful! Looks like I need a new fuel pump. I see 12V on the pump momentarily when the ignition is turned on, but the pump does not run.

Thanks Again!

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts