VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys my friends 1999 Turbo Jetta ECM gave out the stealership wants over 1g for a new one. I want to save her some money and get a used one. What other cars have the same ECM so i can look for a used one. Thanks for the help and a Part Number would really help

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I believe that the 99 was slightly different.

Which 99? The old 99 style or is it the 99.5 newer style? 99 was a crossover year.

This is for a TDI right? 5 speed or auto?

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Try your local junkyard or http://www.car-part.com/ I just did a search and it's about $200-250 plus shipping. It's about $1000 new.

038 906 018 BD is the part number for the 5 speed 99.5. I'm also getting 038 906 018 EB. Just make sure the ECU comes with a warranty or tell the junkyard manager what you have. If they sell you the wrong part they should take it back.

You can only use the 99.5 since the other years didn't have the immobilizer. On the bright side, it's plug-play. You don't have to worry about any immobilizer stuff.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Hi, any 1998, 1999 New beetle, or 1999.5 (new body style) Jetta/Golf ECU will work. The later cars had an immo and won't work.

If it's auto then you have to change the soft coding with vag com but it'll otherwise work. If it's a manual then it's plug and play.

The best thing to do is to remove the windshield cowling on the pass side, and take a look at the ECU part number. Tell it to any junkyard and they may be able to find the same thing.

A good auto recycler aka. the junkyard for TDIs is: L&T Enterprizes
6220 Airport Rd.
Allentown, PA 18109
610-264-9191
800-228-3895

I have no affiliation with them, they've just always had the part and known what I was talking about. If no one is there then leave a message. I've seen them for $150 shipped but that would be a low price.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
How do you know the ECM is bad? I'd get a second opinion if you can. Then again, 150 for a used ECU might be worth it if you can avoid a tow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It died when she was at work she had it towed to a vw dealer They said dead ECU and they gave her a price of like 1300 to replace. I told her get it out of the dealership ASAP lol

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
LOL, I saw a reciept for $1300 for an ECU on an older jetta. The hose inside was bad and they coudl have fixed it for 1/2 hour labor. Never heard of a hose inside a modern ECU other than the older ones.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
How common is this? A bad ECU seems to come up every now and then. Is it because it's under the windshield and exposed to water and vibration?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts